1099 and worker’s compensation

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Khukha, May 26, 2020.

1. Khukha

Khukha Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Hi..
    Need your help again..
    Q1. Can I hire company drivers on 1099?

Q2. Long haul trucking.. With W2. Do we really need worker’s compensation? Can we avoid this with 1099?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sure you can, if it doesn’t bother you to put a driver and his family’s future at risk if he gets hurt. But at least you will make a little more.

if you do 1099 a driver and make him mad and he leaves he can inform the irs and you will have to back pay the ssi you didn’t pay.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Not to mention if a 1099 driver that is truly a W2 driver gets hurt, he can personally sue his boss for not being covered by workers compensation.

D.Tibbitt and wis bang Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

If you can't afford to pay WC you can't afford to be in the trucking business.
    You'll usually get a better class of driver if you make sure that things like WC are included in your wage and benefit package.
    Don't be a dollar skimming tightwad. A good crew of drivers makes money for you and they should be rewarded with decent pay and benefits.

D.Tibbitt, Daycabinit, lester and 8 others Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    W2 with worker comp if you want to be legit.

12 ga Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Q1 - this can be done but it is more costly than doing a w2 and benefits.

wis bang and baha Thank this.
  8. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    So, I'm just doing my research, but this experienced driver I came across wants me to pay him on a 1099 until he retires. He's had his own trucking-related businesses in the past and has plenty of trucking experience, V, F, SD and up to 13 axle in heavy haul. I'm gaining a decent number of good customers now so I can stay pretty busy just in the office full time (will need to bring ppl in soon to help me out) but I want to make it a win-win situation. Both of us have to be profitable and happy. I know I can get good rates from my own customers and other contacts and selective brokers. He can choose to take them or not, or find his own loads if he chooses. Only thing is I have to approve any sources he may try to get work from - and there are some brokers (like TQL) that I will NEVER work with again. Any of you owners run a driver under a 1099? I know there are different ways to do it (like, percentage with or without the driver paying for fuel, etc.). I did talk to a transportation attorney briefly about it and he advised making sure he will be enrolled in a WC policy, so that will be another expense. Any input will be appreciated from those who are doing it successfully.

9. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    If any bad blood comes about or and accident happens you could be in for a real #### storm with out comp and not with holding. That being said my uncle hires guys seasonally to haul rice and walnuts every year and has never had a problem with 1099 pay

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes I do but every driver is under contract, I don’t play games and the drivers are in control of their trucks.

those who do this as a forced dispatched system is doing it wrong and those drivers are all employees by the regulations and laws. Don’t matter what others think, the irs and dol both have thousands and thousands of cases where the company tried to screw over the person and ends up paying them as employees.

by the way seasonal work is different, people are hired to do a specific job for a specific time period.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.