1099 Contractor Status

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BluesDude98, May 20, 2018.

1. BluesDude98

BluesDude98 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I'm researching a high paying 1099 contractor Class A CDL position.

Anyone have a checklist on what to have in place by employer and self to avoid any liability issues?

Not quite an owner operator position but want to cover myself as a working contractor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    1- you have to take out ALL the taxes ( both fed and state)( rule of thumb- 1000 then minus 400 for taxes) 2- file a Taxpayer Identification Number request with your state and with IRS. ( they should be able to give you a estimate on your Quartly payments) 3 - bank that money and do not touch it till it is time to make payment ( Taxs first then yourself).4- keep a record and recepts EVERY Thing ( truck , insurance, fuel, food , travel) so that when you file your yearly tax you can deduct the proper amount.5- if possible get a good accountant who can do the record keeping and forms, or do them yourself w/ a tax app like Quick-books. ( using a accountant is what i used to do- costs more but he has that training)( can tell you if you are doing it right).6- you do not get workman comp or uneployment insurance, so make sure to have some kind of health insurance and money put away for the down days. Good luck.

skellr Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The most important thing is you have a contract. As a 1099, you are a contractor, there to do a specific job and you are free to refuse work, take your own routes and a few other things that differentiates you from an employee.

Paddlewagon and Lav-25 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.