1099 Questions?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by jwat14, Apr 21, 2019.

1. jwat14

jwat14 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Ive been reading in the forum for a while and I noticed the disdain for 1099 companies. My question is what would make a 1099 job ideal for driver? The biggest issues I see are driver benefits and driver taxes which is understandable.

I feel as though there are benefits and ways to protect yourself as a 1099 independent contractor when it comes to tax purposes. For one, it allows you to write off on the road expenses that W-2 drivers cannot write off because of the new tax law. The next issue would be the employment tax but if you set up an with LLC and elect to be taxed as an S-Corp then you will be able to avoid the 15% employment tax with the right accountant(can explain in detail). Not to mention establishing a Sep IRA within the S-Corp which you are providing yourself with your own pension plan(Benefits).

As far as insurance, you have Occupational Accidental Insurance out there that allows you to choose a type of coverage that you feel is neccessary for you.

If a company offered independent contractors the freedom to chose their own loads and work schedule plus assistance with everything mentioned above, would that be ideal?

It seems like if 1099 companies actually treated drivers like "independent contractors" then it is more beneficial today than being a W-2. When I hear the term independent contractor I think of them as business entities and they should be treated as such. I just think if drivers saw themselves as more of a business than employees then 1099 can be beneficial to you. I understand its not for everyone but I do believe it has a place for individuals who want freedom and control over their business.

I could be wrong...but thats why I am here...to learn from drivers with experience in the industry. Please dont be bashful....just educate and spread knowledge please.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The issue is just just money. In most cases it is also illegal. As to the money. For it to be better you would have to pay enough to cover the company part of the fica tax, the workmans comp ins, and put some away in case your job stops, as you won't be getting any unemployment. For me, I would have to cover that and still make $300 a day or I wouldn't do it. That's just me though. Others expectations who knows.

Tb0n3, roshea and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    That's the problem. They call them "contractors", but treat them as company drivers, telling them where to fuel, assigning them loads, equipment, etc.

LtlAnonymous, TheyCallMeDave and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Yep

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. cool7035

cool7035 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Rusk, Texas
    So, I tried the 1099 route. Unfortunately, I lost my ###. Did all the deduction, and still came up short. I think my problem was the CPM wages weren't anymore than what I was making as a company driver. Sure I got more miles, had a big pretty truck and trailer. But I believe .45/mi wasn't enough wage on a 1099.

Was I wrong?

7. jwat14

jwat14 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2016

It’s only illegal if you are being treated as an employee. You can lower your fica by establishing an s Corp and paying yourself the lowest possible salary and taking the rest as a distribution. An S Corp net profit is not subject to FICA. Occupational accidental insurance is cheaper than work as comp. I understand the unemployment part that makes sense for sure. What if the company covered those things such as setting you up legally to get those benefits from the corporation and provided the occupational accidental insurance?

8. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Im a 1099 drayman. Been doing it for 4 years total, 2 as driver in a friends truck (split income and fuel) and 2 years with my own truck. I work when I want and for how long I want. Just let the dispatcher know in advance. We are paid by the load + fuel. I can tell you as a OO, I make almost twice what you posted above. Good luck.
    I was a company driver for USA Truck in 2011/2012, I was pad 34cpm. Great company, I was happy. I moved to Marten Transport to finish my OTR miles, I was paid 34cpm.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. jwat14

jwat14 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2016

Where you set up the right way legally? Tax benefits would probably made the .45/mile feel a little bit better right? Like I said it would rake the proper accountant and ownership of the driver to make sure they are getting the necessary deductions and benefits but that’s what being established as a business man is right?

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    So you worked for loser companies and didn't make any money. No surprise there.

ncmickey and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. jwat14

jwat14 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Where you making good money being a co driver in your friends tuck on 1099? I don't get the hate if its done right. It gives you freedom and allows you to build up your business if its set up correctly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.