11' MaxxForce Dt466 Hard Start/No Start problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by tiggz_tiggz, Jan 17, 2018.

1. tiggz_tiggz

tiggz_tiggz Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hey guys I have a Dt466 Maxxforce engine that for the most part it starts just fine but sometimes it struggles to turn on. I connected the ServiceMaxx Pro and reads a code for IPC unable to build during cranking. I know it can be an issue with the oil pump/filter/oil viscosity. But doing a little reading I found that the injector "pucks" can leak and cause this problem. Is there a way to test to see which route to take or is it trial and error type of thing.
    I tried doing the air management test but it aborts due to an active fault code present (ICP unable to build during cranking). I did notice that when I run the standard test, after the rpms rise, that the desired oil pressure rises to about 4,400 but the actual pressure doesnt pass 2,500 psi. If anyone has experienced this and resolved it I'd really appreciate any input.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    With ICP issues, always check your regulator and make sure it is in good shape. First, make sure you have proper oil level. After that, you remove the high pressure line at the head, install a pressure gauge and crank to see if it makes 4000 psi or not. If it does, then you are looking at a leak under the rocker cover, likely pucks. If it doesn't make full pressure, then it could be a pump or regulator. There are special tools for that that you use by removing the regulator and installing a block off tool to force oil at full pressure through the pump. At that point, if it makes 4000 psi, then the pump is good and regulator bad.

tiggz_tiggz and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. Tryingtofixed_36

Tryingtofixed_36 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2021

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.