11hr day

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tri-z, Feb 24, 2007.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Oh I fully understand what you are saying about the regulations. I agree with you on that! Unfortunately I can not change them, I wish I could.
    The split does work for some who do not like to shut down the truck for 10 hours. It does not fit some drivers choice as yours. That is your options. What you need to do is voice your opinion a good place to do that is on the topic of black boxes. I have a link in the Black Box subject by me (I can't remember exactly what the subject was) the links are 1) for you to read the other comments and you can send them your opinion on the black box, but add in your comments regarding the HOS as others have done this as well. If enough drivers complain maybe they will get the point:thumbright:
    Give it a try, what will it hurt to try? You can post annonymous (SP?).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the problem is I have looked at it a thousand way and there really isn't any good way to do it except "common Sense" and we all know that don't work for the VAST majority of people. There are always those who are going to run 20 hours a day. you'll never stop them and we arn't stoping them with the current rules.

This may not be the most popular thing to say around here but I drive my hours when I feel I need to and make it work out later. I'm not safe driving at 8am one day and starting at midnight two days later. I know it, and I'm not going to do it

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Now you are right you don't be saying this as the log lady can't hear you :smt081 ! I know there is many of you out there and I can't change your ways, but I wish I could. I feel your pain (I really do), but I wish you would understand it is not worth your life or someone else's. But on the lighter note as long as you are not working where I do, I can't say much:toothy8:

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    heck I'm not saying I want to run 20 hours a day. I can barely keep up with my 11 sometimes. I'm not 20 yo anymore. I run my 11 but I do it when I'm safe to do it. I'm not going to leave the shop at 10am and three days later be wakign up at 11pm to start my shift. It's just not gona happen.
    Now back in the day hauling produce I'd leave yuma az at 4pm and drive to detroit and only stop for fuel and a 3 hr nap. but that's how everyone ran back then. it's totally crazy

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

You are not forced to drive that way unless you want or your company really rides you.

My days usually begin in the 6am to 7am range and often end 14hrs later. I don't drive 11 as hard as I can go. I'll take one or two breaks thru the day. On a day that I do hit it real hard and don't use up the 14 I still don't usually start before 6am the next day unless I am really hitting it hard to make a delivery/pickup.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I prefer to be home for my breaks. I run 11 and don't trash around the truckstops.
    Now granted ordinarily this isn't a problem for me these days. Usually these days I run 4 days and get 3000 to 2800 miles and am home 3 days. but a few times a year, like last week I do some west coast and am out for 7 or 8 days and that's when it gets to bug me. In that case I usually end up runing out hard and then burning out a bit and I start to take breaks on the way back.
    I prefer to run HARD 4 days and get home. If I have a choice anyways. It helps that I usually bobtail back

8. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

When freight is slow this time of year I can be gone for two weeks or longer trying to keep the income up. When things get better and there is more outbound freight from my area I can be home every week if things work out.

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    ya I know. I don't haul freight and I don't miss it one bit. well I don't haul it often anyways and when I do it is electric 4wd hunting buggies so they drive on and off. real nice

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    And some still do run like that:laughing1:

11. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    You don't even want to hear about my bulk potato hauling days!!!!! #130k.....straight through, never once within 10 miles of a scale.... Do you have any idea how hard it is to drive a truck that's 130k pounds around the kentucky and tenn back roads???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.