12.7 Detroit vs isx15 please help

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by htruck, Jul 23, 2017.

1. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Detroit, hands down. It's not likely to even have EGR on it, whereas the ISX Cummins will have EGR, DEF and DPF, at a bad point in the timeline for all that stuff (2008-2010 were probably the worst years based on my limited personal experience). Cheaper to rebuild, almost every part on the motor will be less expensive. To top it off, the truck is a one owner, with a stack of service receipts?

To me, the 2001 just sold itself. The FL Classic is a good solid truck platform with fewer issues overall than the Prostar, also.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Thanks everyone I was leaning to the 01 but it is hard to get a truck that high miles and old. Too bad it's not 99 to beat elog.

Attached Files:

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    What's he asking for the 01?

5. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    $26,500 buys it

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  6. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Both wrong.

2010 trucks were still using the CM871 ISX. EGR and DPF only. EPA 2010 CM2250 ISX weren't installed in the Prostar till mid to late 2011 models. The CM871 is a dead solid reliable engine provided you keep the sensors clean, specifically the IMAP.. a $50 part that takes under 10 minutes to clean every few months.

My 2010 Prostar has a CM871 ISX approaching 700k over 250k I'm responsible for. The only issue I've had that's specific to the ISX or emissions in general is a failing fuel lift pump. Every other problem I've would be normal in any pre-emissions engine, water pump and air compressor specifically.

No trying any "S60's" or Cats don't break anything till XXXk miles either. I've seen a 100k mile 3406 split a block, and an S60 munch a bull gear before it hit 500k.

The big point for me is Prostar vs Pre-body controller era ANYTHING. I F#### hate all this electronic crap controlling my headlights, climate control, etc.

Lepton1 and fargonaz Thank this.
  7. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    What is they dyno going to do?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I wanted the pro star myself it turns better shorter and better visual but I think the freightliner is the best option

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are joking?

It is a $15k truck any which way you cut it.

BUT you already missed the part that it is just a truck and nothing more than a tool to make money with.

Due an dyno, have a blowby done with it, then get a good mechanic to go through it from front to back and get solid estimates to what it will cost to fix things. AND do not forget the OA, get that done on all the components, both axles, the trans and engine.

If he had the important things done already, like king pins and axle bearings replaced, then that's great, but confirm it - do not trust receipts. If he had an in-frame done, then see when, it is is over 400k miles ago, consider it something that will need another one if the blowby is high.

As a first truck, a 1M mile truck can be a nightmare so plan the finance end accordingly, make sure you have at least $10k in it for repairs, major ones.

AND just because it is a one owner truck, that is meaningless.

nax, Lepton1 and 18 wheels of fury Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Good question:

noluck Thanks this.
  11. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I have ran both. Currently run an Isx. The Detroit is a great power plant. And gives very little trouble. Provide you keep the overhead ran, and service it regular. The Isx isn't necessarily a bad power plant. It just needs more attention than most people are use to. I can see where if you are not mechanically inclined and have to send it to a shop, you'll hate an Isx. That said, there is no way I would pay 27k for a 2001 century. I wouldn't buy a pro star either though. Jmo!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.