12.7 tough spin when cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by stonefly4, Nov 30, 2020.

1. stonefly4

stonefly4 Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies. They've given me food for thought.

I'm on a load as I write this and am on my break. I'll sleep on it.

Y'all have given me some insight and raised some questions.

I'll be back.

Thanks again.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve been through the exact same thing twice. First time, it suddenly got worse. Went from adding one-two gallons of coolant a week to 3 gallons in 24 hrs. Head gasket blew, Engine hydro locked, dropped a liner, 500 miles from home. Second time, different Truck. One year ago.Adding coolant, running water. Coolant making pressure. Ran it home, 1500 miles. Had it overhauled. My guess is it’s pushing coolant. You can do a bubble test using the overflow tube. Or use a pressure test kit. Borrow one from the auto zone, or O Reilly’s. Put 10lbs in it, see if it holds. Start it up, see if it builds pressure. Sounds like the fuel issue is just worn rings. Judging by excessive blow by. Head gasket is leaking, due to corrosion, or a low liner. It’s only a matter of time till it blows and hydro locks. Might be a pin hole in the top of a liner, and it’s burning off, either way it’s going out the stacks. An overhaul kit and head are about $4000. Labor $3500. Bull gear $850, Labor around $2000. So for around $11000 plus oil, coolant, filters, you’ll be good to go. Question is if the Trucks worth it or not. It’s inevitable. You can isolate the compressor, by looping the coolant hoses together, and taking the air line off it, while doing the pressure test. Might get lucky. But coolant is going somewhere. The ground, the oil, or the exhaust.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Hopefully you don’t wake up like I did with a locked up engine.

5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    That is true, forgot about that I did have coolant in air tank. But that’s been over 20 years. Good point

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    What does exhaust smell like when it does fire? Have you tried to manual bar motor when it is cold? Do oil samples? Coolant additives will show up in oil before you ever see it on the dipstick.

Rideandrepair and 062 Thank this.
  7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    You can also buy water indicating paste to see if coolant present

stonefly4 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    I haven't noticed an unusual smell from the exhaust.

I'll have to find a place to do an oil sample. The dealership I've been using for 20 years quit doing the oil analysis. I gotta find somewhere else.

I thought about the manual bar immediately, the first time it happened, but the opportunity rarely presents itself. The last time I started it, I wasn't expecting it to happen. The first time was an extremely cold night preceding the morning. The last time was relatively mild. I'll need to dig out the wrenches and be ready next time. My original idea was to have a manual bar ready, so that the next time it happened, I would not continually hit the starter button, but instead put the bar onto the crankshaft and pull it slowly so that any liquid would ease past the rings instead of doing engine damage. Anyway, that's the first thing that came to mind.

Actually, now, presently, I'm not giving it a chance. I'm running straight water and not shutting down except to check oil. I put the cardboard up against the radiator this morning in anticipation of the deep cold, which has been known to occur in the northern winter.

I added water to the surge tank this morning, Thursday,—about 2/3 of a gallon since Monday afternoon in Austinburg, OH. That was two loads. I went from Austinburg, OH to Burton, OH, where I picked up, then dropped in Allentown, PA, then picked up another in Allentown, delivered to Hagerstown, MD this morning, a total of 620 miles. I never shut down the entire time, so all my breaks were engine idle time. That's not really an outlandish amount of coolant loss, although it is an indication that there is, indeed, something amiss—but, no coolant visible—none on the ground—no wet spots on the engine.

9. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    You're scarin' me, Rideandrepair, which is good, I reckon, because I need to be careful with this.

On the hopeful side, it only lost about 2/3 of a gallon in 3 days and 620 miles.

The thing is, that there is a clue, which to me seems like a big clue, and that is that it only happens when the engine gets real cold. It does not, or at least has not, been happening during the warmer months. That must mean something. I would think that there are some components in the engine that would be independent of temperature and others that may be very temperature-dependent.

What engine component would be most likely to pass water when cold, but not when warm.

The other consideration is that even when warm, when running, there is coolant loss, but from where? How?

I should add that I run with no pressure in the cooling system. I got me a 7lb. cap and removed the gasket, so that the cap does not actually seal the surge tank, but just prevents coolant from splashing out.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    My guess is that the head gasket is leaking. I’ve done all the same things as you. Ran with cap loose, buying time. Changing thermostats. Hoping for the best. Changed a Leaking oil cooler, on one engine. Waterpump on this one. Before realizing it was building pressure, causing the failures. If it’s building pressure, any weak point will leak. A lot of things leak when cold. Fluid, air lines. Brake chambers. Cold weather always shows up the leaks. My guess is the head gasket doing the same. You need to do a pressure test. At least put the cap on good, and put the overflow tube in a bottle of water. Any pressure will show up right away. A radiator pressure kit, borrowed from autozone or Oreillys will tell for sure. You need to rule out all other points. Hoses, Waterpump weep hole, heater cores and water valves. Any shop can do one for you. Minimal charge. You never mentioned what year make of Truck you have.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Ok my mistake. I see it’s a 93. You need to rule out any air over electric water valves, for heater cores. A lot of Trucks had them prior to 2000. Freightliners had them on the bunk. Look for the valve near the heater core. Look for a small airline running to it. If so, it may be bad. When bad they work fine, while open and coolants circulating. Once they’re closed, either by adjusting the thermostat on heater control, or turning the key off, they’ll put 100+ lbs of pressure into the coolant. Since the problem started when it’s cold, maybe since you turned the water valves on? So if you have one, and it’s bad. You can run the Truck, with heat on, cap off, and when you turn the hot/ cold dial to cold, or turn Truck off, coolant will shoot out of the surge tank. Check it out. Might be your problem. Check both valves near both heater cores. Some Trucks had them on the Cabs too. Mimics a blown head gasket symptoms.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.