12 Volt Refrigerator (not an iceless cooler)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TimeTorn, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TimeTorn

TimeTorn Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hey all, I recently purchased a portable refrigerator that will run on 12vDC or 110vAC. It has a thermostat and the temperature can be set to 0°F. Unlike the iceless coolers sold at truck stops that only keep contents 40 degrees below the temperature inside your truck, this unit uses a compressor and can maintain freezing temperatures even when your truck is roasting in the sun with the windows rolled up.

You can find them by searching Google for "12v freezer". They're a lot more expensive than the glorified beverage chillers found in truck stops, but they're worth the money because they'll keep food colder, making it last longer, and the units themselves will last for years. My Dometic 50qt came with a 1 year warranty that covers parts/service, and a 2 year warranty on the parts. It draws on average 1amp per-hour. It cost me just under $600 but well worth it considering the money I will be saving vs truck stop junk food, and the improvement to my diet. And this can keep eggs fresh and even freeze popsicles, unlike the thermoelectric coolers

Beware the *Pretender* "refrigerators" they are marketed as 12v refrigerators, they even LOOK LIKE an actual mini fridge with heat pipes in the rear, but they do not have a compressor and will not cool more than 40 degrees below ambient temperature.

The high efficiency 12v compressors make these units more expensive than 12v coolers, and more expensive than a regular 110vAC mini fridge. The cheapest one is over $300, so prepare yourself to spend some $$ if you want something better than a thermoelectric cooler.

The cheapest brand I have seen is Whynter, which uses a Chinese knockoff version of the Danfoss compressor.

Next more expensive, and I think the best deal, is Dometic, which is the US version of Waeco.

Next; ARB fridges, they seem to be more rugged based on reviews I've seen, made by a company that specializes in 4x4 off roading equipment.

Engel likes to tout about higher efficiency "swing compressors" but we're talking about the difference between 2.5 amps, and 1 amp while the compressor is running, they are very expensive though, $860 for a 34 quart Engel vs $620 for a 33 quart dometic. This might be good if you want to run longer without charging your batteries. But the batteries in most trucks should be capable of running the cheaper fridges for days.

There are many other brands out there but these seem to be the most popular.

I did a lot of research before coming to my final decision to purchase my fridge, so I'm sharing the info I've gathered here. I hope this helps :)

Tac-Lift, flatbeb mac, x1Heavy and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Great info... Thanks for posting your findings.

4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Dometic is a very easy to find product.
    almost any truck dealer will have them.

had to replace one not too long ago.
    $450.00 for the unit, we installed. 4 bolts and a plug.

5. TimeTorn

TimeTorn Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    The ones I'm talking about are the portable units that plug in to 12v cigarette outlet. Of course anybody can have one installed into their truck at a dealership since it's optional on most trucks, and most models have a designated space for it.

Here is the one I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017...dpPl=1&dpID=416XR2b+ypL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

This works better for me since I am a company driver and I'm not allowed to hardwire anything to the truck, plus I will probably be changing trucks soon, the fridge will come with me. No bolts :)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. kbill1955

kbill1955 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Fort Lupton Colorado
    One thing you probably should be aware of is that you HAVE to have proper air flow over the condenser. Refrigeration compressors work by compressing the gas, (Refrigerant commonly called "Freon" but Freon is a trademark of the DuPont CO.) thereby raising the temperature over the ambient to loose the heat. Then after it is sprayed inside the evaporator, it lowers the temperature cooling the inside of the unit. This will place the heat inside of your cab, if it doesn't have a vent to the outside. If you block the hot air, the compressor will burn out. The compressor has it windings inside of the hermetically sealed unit. It depends on the residual cooling of the refrigerant to keep the motor cool.
    Probably too much information, but I ran a refrigeration company for 9 years, and I can't tell you how many calls I went on where they had pushed the little frozen drink machine up against the wall, and it couldn't get enough air to cool properly. It got so all I would have to do was walk in and touch the front of the unit. If it was hot, I knew that it wasn't getting the air it needed. Most of these little compressors are made in Hong Cong and it will cost more to replace them then the whole unit cost. Stupid but fact.
    Smiles!

x1Heavy and TimeTorn Thank this.
  7. Zip_Zero_Zilch_00

Zip_Zero_Zilch_00 Light Load Member

May 8, 2016
    Detroit, MI
    I understand these are definitely costly .... Do you have any advise for a beginner on something to start out with to get me through until I can splurge on the nicer ones?
    Thanks

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is NO SUCH thing as too much information. I am more than happy to geek out right there with you.

We ran for a year or two off a cooler that did 40 degrees below whatever the cab was. Ugh. It has been a dream to see a freezer in that #### cab. Is that too much to ask for?

Fresh food is getting to be pretty valuable and cheap when you consider the relentless march of processed foods and dinner hour billings getting pretty hefty.

Zip_Zero_Zilch_00 Thanks this.
  9. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Great info, thanks. Been trying to decide what I wanted and this seems perfect. Mounting a fridge in my old kw was something I was dreading, with this I could move it if needed and not take up my upper bunk or closet. (couldn't decide)

10. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Truckfridge is another option. Also compressor driven, they're a little bit cheaper than the Dometic ones. The TF31 at $399 is on my list; it'll fit beautifully in that floor level "crap catcher" hole behind the passenger seat.

truckfridge.com

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.