13 Years

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sportster2000, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Think of it this way. When you have to pull a 34 and do a reset. If you're in a different part of the country you can go exploring. It's almost like a mini vacation away from home.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some people are born to roam.

bzinger, tommymonza and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Until you have done it you really don't know. You got to be the loner type, drifter, and ok with being by yourself. Its the adventure, waking up in one state and going to bed in another. I did it 9 years with no regret.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    bzinger, D.Tibbitt, Gsm and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Bakari742

Bakari742 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    I agree

D.Tibbitt and rachi Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Right. Some people need a close knit circle of friends and relatives and lots of social interaction. For some of us, that's the last thing we want.
    Either way is fine depending on the person.

InTooDeep, bzinger, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That's the great thing about our industry these days, there's a ton of different options right now.

A clean CDL and MVR is like a golden ticket. If you don't like staying out for weeks on end anymore, try something else. Several years ago I got on with a company that did regional runs, a lot of drop & hook. Good miles, decent pay and home 3 nights a week and every weekend.

It was a pretty good gig, especially when like you, I got burned out on the "OTR is a lifestyle" mantra ;-) In my case, it only took 2.5 years for me to realize that staying out for 2 mos and getting home for 3 or 4 days, was for the birds.

D.Tibbitt and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  8. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been everywhere I wanted to go in a truck and then some. Going to start doing local stuff with my company tomorrow. A lot of city driving. Got to stay with them for 2.5 more years. Just the way it is working out.

9. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    prison on wheels

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When I started driving in the mid 90s, I didn't have anyone at home so the OTR thing was good. I had never been east of the Mississippi river and enjoyed seeing new sights. I was comfortable being alone a lot and never felt "lonely". I spent several years driving for a van lines doing blanket wrap and electronics freight. My contract called for me to be "available for dispatch" 280 days a year so time off wasn't a problem, and I took time off a various places around the country visiting friends and family.
    Was good for me at the time and I don't regret a minute of it. Though if I knew then what I know now, I would have went to chemical tanker 20 years before I did.

Chinatown, TripleSix and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    You've got in your mind that it's still 1980. You can do whatever you want in trucking. I'm not nearly in the truck 24/7 and still make a good living.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.