14 cascadia. 4 codes. Nox, poor def, derate

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by irishluck09, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Just tossing ideas at the wall...

It takes two values to compute a percentage. Did you check/change the NOX input sensor as well as the output sensor?

You might try opening the one box to see if the DEF mixing tubes have burned through.

There is a test in the DDDL software that makes the DEF pump run for a fixed time in order to measure if it's working right. You have to disconnect the line and hold it in a graduated cylinder to measure how much fluid gets pumped.

Have you refilled the DEF tank after this all started happening? DEF is water soluble and you can get diluted DEF fluid sometimes. Try boxed DEF for a while and see if that helps. You can test the DEF quality in your tank with a DEF Refractometer.

Is the DEF feed line heater working?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019

Ill touch more on your response here later but for a quick reply, i did not change the input. Just output. And yes i have filled the DEF tank many times since this issue. I still run 2000-3000 miles a week. Just have to do a forced/manual regen on the highway every couple days when the codes pop up. I get derated to 55mph and after the regen its back to normal for a couple days

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Mine did that too. It got worse over the next few months.

5. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    Did you ever figure out the problem with yours?

6. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes, the SCR catalyst was worn out. Only way to replace it is to replace the entire One-Box.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  7. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    Ill delete it before i do that lol delete for $3500 or replace one box for $7000. Definitely goin the cheaper way lol

8. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    I can see replacing the One-Box, but why the injectors? Was the theory that over or underfueling was causing excessive emissions? I've been dealing with Emissions faults since February and currently have SPN 5246 FMI 0 and we've replaced the One-Box, Def pump, doser, lines, all harnesses (main harness, tank to pump and controller harness, and harness to sensors on the One-Box) changed output and input NoX and some temp sensors and am still derated to 5mph with SPN 5246 FMI 0. I'm at over $30,000 now and still aren't rolling. Anyone experience similar? What did you do?

9. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    i have brand new 1 box for this truck sitting in my garage. selling cheap $6000 cash

AlexD13 Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Initially they told me they were going to change just the One-Box. Then a few hours later they called again and said injectors also. Said after confirming the bad One-Box most places stop right there, but there was additional testing that Detroit said was part of the diagnosis. After completing the extra test they figured the injectors over fuelling was the cause of the One-Box failure.

11. AlexD13

AlexD13 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Where are you located

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.