14 Hour Violation Due to Breakdown? Help!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Truckerman99, Apr 21, 2021.

1. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    I’m late to the party so I’d be curious to know what you ended up doing op. Personally, I’d make a note in my elog stating I had a breakdown and the start/end time you were down. Also make a note that you are traveling to the nearest safe haven and proceed to the hotel if indeed it’s 11 minutes away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    10 off wouldnt cut it... It would reset the 11 and 14, but it would not leave the 2 hours whule broke down out of the 14... Thereby causing a violation.

Could how ever do the sleeper portion followed by 2 or 3 hours off... This would satisfy the split berth rule AND give fresh 11 and 14.

NavigatorWife, slow.rider and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    So retroactively it would make the 2 hour off duty, which when taken with 8 hour sleeper berth doesn't count against the 14, count against the 14?

slow.rider Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    AARGH! Safe parking and safe haven are not the same thing. Safe haven is a legal term for a place that both drivers can leave a division 1 hazmat load unattended by either driver.

slow.rider, Jesster916, Opus and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Truckerman99

Truckerman99 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2021
    I went on duty, not driving. Flagged breakdown during all the time. I was on the side of the road and my hotel was right off the very next exit so I used the excuse of finding a safe place to park for the night

7. Truckerman99

Truckerman99 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2021
    I would have if it wasn’t a steer tire lol

8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not legally, but beyond your control, make as mango remarks as needed in comments to explain. Can’t leave truck on side of road

NavigatorWife and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    Wow...chill man. One word “haven” instead of “parking” sets you off huh? I hauled hazmat for years so I’m used to the safe haven terminology. Yes technically it would be safe parking for the op. Pretty sure he got the idea of what I was trying to say but thanks for your expert technical advice.

NavigatorWife and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Honestly, and this is assuming you are running duals and you didn’t have a steer tire blow, I would have just limped to the hotel on the flat. Sit in the comfort of your room while the tire guy fixes your flat.

I’ve probably went 20 miles plus on a blowout, just because there was no good place to stop. It is way more dangerous for a tire guy to change a driver’s side tire on a narrow shoulder than it is to limp it a ways.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    And clip instead of magazine also causes a meltdown!

T.Rucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.