14 Hour Violation Due to Breakdown? Help!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Truckerman99, Apr 21, 2021.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    How about "loose" and "lose"?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You don’t have an on duty limit. You can be on your on-duty time for 24 hours, what you can’t do is drive after you reach the 14 hour limit, you have to reset with 10.

what I would have done is call safety and see what they can do about an edit of the logs to get the truck off the road. Once it is off the road, even though that means driving it to the hotel at the next exit, then you can go off duty and start the reset.

NavigatorWife, slow.rider and T.Rucker Thank this.
  4. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    Haha! That I understand lol!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Take a turkey out of the freezer to "unthaw" it.

6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I’m going with I didn’t need that tire anyways. I’m going to the hotel

Kyle G. and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I just loose it when my clip falls out of my fully-semi-automatic assault pistol!

8. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    It seems a bizarre irony to worry about simple transportation to a hotel while hauling a trailer full of cars.

9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    This whole thread just makes me shake my head and think what a sad screwed up industry and world we are in. So worried about a violation and the possible adverse effects. I'm surprised no one mentioned the death penalty for driving over hours. Everybody is so flipping scared anymore its crazy.
    Oh you probably should have trip planned better. Or you didn't check that tire every 150 miles.

The dude was 11 minutes away from his motel in a daycab. Is a blow tire really not a good enough reason to drive 11 minutes? Who's gonna write a ticket for that?!? Someone even suggested getting a tow after having the tire fixed to avoid the violation! Insane.

10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I didn’t suggest getting towed, I only meant it’s probably the only “legal” way to do it. In fact, I even added at the end of my post that I personally would have just driven the truck to the hotel.

The OP wanted to know how to handle this without going into violation, and people gave some ideas.

slow.rider and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I think I understand what you are asking... But I'm not sure, so lets see...

2 hours off duty in the middle of the 14 somewhere, followed by driving enough to finish 11 hour clock but goes over 14 hours from the time you started the day by no mere than 2 hours... Thus creating a violation. This can be remedied by then taking 8 OR MORE hours in Sleeper, which will make the previous 2 hours off duty NOT count against the 14... Thus removing the violation. One can then continue in ANY off duty status for an additional 2 hours to make a full 10 hour reset, thus completely resetting both 11 and 14 hour clocks. Doing so does not make the previous 2 hours again count against the 14. There is no rule that says the 2 portions of the split berth can't add up to more than 10 hours.

Split berth is really easy to under stand now...

One break can be either Off Duty or Sleeper and MUST be at least 2 hours OR MORE.

The other break MUST be at least 7 hours in Sleeper berth.

Both breaks MUST add up to at least 10 hours.

The shorter break (off duty or sleeper) CAN be paired with a 10 hour break IF a portion of that 10 hour break is at least 7 consecutive hours of sleeper (this portion MUST also add up to 10 hours when added to the shorter break).

Does this thoroughly confuse you??? LOL

NavigatorWife, slow.rider and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.