1500 watt inverter usage?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by doninwooster, Mar 15, 2018.

1. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    If a company has 1500 watt inverters in their trucks, what appliances, refrigerators, microwave, tvs, etc can I use at the same time? To my understanding, if I have a refrigerator plugged in, I would have to unplug it every time I wanted to use either a coffee maker, electric burner/griddle or tv, correct? the appliance used should total about 1/2 of the inverters wattage? If I keep the fridge plugged into the inverter, then basically I cannot use another appliance at the same time? Am I correct, or confused?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are correct. You can't use everything at once.

The fridge will not use a lot of power once started but start up current is high. The same goes for microwaves, there is a spike in current needed to get it started.

There is also issue with things that are inductive loads, like coffee makers with some inverters.

My suggestion is to get a large one, pure sine wave inverter, maybe 3000 watts. Your fridge will be happier.

Remember that there is an inverter overhead to run the inverter. cheap ones will had as high as 10% of the available wattage.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.