160 Driving Academy

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by captwheel, Jul 29, 2018.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The 160 "academies " vary greatly by location. Some are great, some suck donkey balls.

151 Driving in Sun Prarie tends to put up garbage. If you've got some talent you'd be fine but they are the definition of a CDL mill.

Best idea is FVTC. Strong team of long term instructors, great facilities, amd I've never had a FVTC grad fail because of skills. Attitude, worl ethic, and homesickness, yes, skills no.

nredfor88 and Express12$ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    Went there in 96 at that time it was a union shop instructors were there 10 to 20 years. However it was a 2 week course average class size was 60. I have to admit we had plenty of yard time. They had about 15 yard trucks that were 20 plus years old. About to 10 road trucks less then 10 years old all ceo and 48' trailers but only got about 15 min of road time a day. Also because i didnt have my state issued birth certificate and new York didnt fedex it at the time they helped me out by giving me a job while i waited for it. I was able to start the next class and still worked for the extra money. After i graduated and passed my road test i still had a week before leaving for my first job. That monday they went around collecting the trucks from the weekend road tests. Bill Weaver who was the head instructor, i think because he had diabetes and couldn't drive wanted me to drive one of the back but i still only had my permitt so he had too. I ended up getting banned from there for something i didnt do. While picking up the yard some of the new class tried to get me to help them I said i couldnt and changed the subject. One of the instructors Bill Fox (fat foxy) saw it and said i was helping and took me to weavers office and he took fox's side. About a year ago i heard fox died of aheart attack and weaver died from the diabetes. Also about 2 years ago the placement guy, Red retired and he was there about 50 years..

4. Jumpman

Jumpman Light Load Member

May 13, 2021
    Any info on the 160 Driving Academy in Las Vegas? or any other CDL schools in the area.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's two more good ones:
    `
    Southwest Truck Driver Training
    CDL Training Locations in Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas
    Southwest Truck Driver Training is an independent and dedicated truck driving school. Our facilities are equipped with the latest trucks and master instructors.
    ~
    Las Vegas Truck Driving School | RTDS Trucking School ...
    RTDS Trucking School - CDL Training in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City & Cedar City
    OUR MISSION. At RTDS Trucking School, we go the extra mile for our CDL students. Our mission is to provide our students with the highest level of education that will enable them to be professional and safe truck drivers. We will do our absolute best to give our students a warm, welcoming and hassle-free experience throughout their CDL training.

Jumpman Thanks this.
  6. Jumpman

May 13, 2021
    Thanks for those suggestions, I will check them both out.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What type trucking job do you want?

8. Jumpman

May 13, 2021
    If I get to pick I would say flatbed simply to get out of truck some and work but really the $ will be how I decide. The only thing I am certain of is I do not want any sort of route where I load and unload the truck by hand every day, pretty much everything else is acceptable.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most refrigerated companies don't want the drivers unloading freight. The companies pay a lumper service to load and unload.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Leavitt's Freight Service. Had an ad recently for Las Vegas drivers with 3 mos. experience. Something to make a note of.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.