18-20 year olds possibly driving

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by teams567, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How many 18 year olds that don’t have an interest in driving will be lining up to get trained by a mega? If they’re only doing it for a job I would tend to think that most wouldn’t last to the end of their training. The ones that do want to drive will have an easier pathway into trucking instead of having to find something else to do until they turn 21.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I know a couple of 18 year olds that would be fine drivers. They work for us in the summer driving off road dump and water truck and they kick the work around pretty good. They're both going to college and if i have anything for them to do this summer they're welcome back.
    I know several that I won't even let on the property. We went through about dozen last summer when we needed a couple of choker setters. There were three or four that didn't even make it to lunch time before they quit. I told the trucks headed out not to give them a ride to town. SOBs want to quit in the middle of the day they can #### well walk back to civilization.
    The majority of 18 year olds don't have an established work ethic yet. I think most of them wouldn't be able to handle the average OTR job.

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    It is easy to know your own State and area IMO......different when you go to another state with mountains or lots of snow and ice. 18 year old from Texas on I80 in Pa in the Winter?

5. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    There really is no good reason to not let 18 year olds drive OTR. They are adults. Let them have the opportunities some will make it some will fail.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It's an awful idea in general and we will all be worse off because of it. 95% of American teens aren't going to get behind the wheel of a big truck. The 5% that will were raised driving farm equipment and they will take right to it, just as they always have. The other 95% are going to be imports who think America is a big hip hop video, new to the country, ESL (English second language) and will risk their lives (and ours) doing anything here.

I wish them the best but it's not a good idea to put that on our overcrowded, undermaintained roads.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Not that I entirely disagree with you but I still don't see how it's any different than 30 yr old Joe Blow from dallas that has never left the city

8. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I got my class A as soon as I turned 18. I was a better , more responsible truck driver than a lot of the moronic steering wheel holders i see on the road now.

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Ever heard of prefrontal cortex development? See any 18-20 year old (mostly males) do anything ELSE stupid? Youtube can help you.

10. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    It will be interesting to see the data that comes out of the pilot, but I really think it’s going to end up not being a big deal. I think it will help recruit younger people into the industry. If an 18yo out of high school decides to start a vocational career, he’s not likely to choose trucking when the opportunities are so limited at that age. Once he turns 21 and is four years into another career, say mechanic, electrician, etc, he’s not likely to decide to switch to trucking at that point.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That's what I've been screaming everytime this comes up! I drove in California when I was 17, but a driver can't drive from Lansing, IL to Hammond, IL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.