1976 K100 Cabover project

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by flipper88, Jan 17, 2020.

1. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    The thought hasnt even crossed my mind as at this point I will be more focused on getting it back on the road. I think now that I know a little history behind it i might want to keep it as it is for a while!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Right now I realistically only have one of those things, A place to do it! hoping the time and money will come around eventually. The place I bought has a shop the original owner built to service his log truck so I am in good shape there!

homeskillet Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    When you get it post some pictures of the engine.

I wonder if 1976 is a big cam one or a small cam.

Slang for that engine is a shiny 290.

5. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Will do!

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    20200116_173630.jpg I think fixed up right they are a good lookin ride.

RubyEagle, Coffey and mile marker 27 Thank this.
  7. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    76 would be a small cam.

8. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Got the truck home! Which was a journey all in itself... I was under the impression it would make the drive without issues. After getting a trip permit and a buddy with a CDL to drive it home for me we discovered it had an issue. It ran and drove great with plenty of power but would randomly shut off without warning. No shuddering just like someone turned the key off. Then it would turn over with no fire.

After sitting for a few minutes it will fire right back up. It would do this about 4 separate times on a 30 min drive. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Coffey Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    On that truck there is a solenoid on top of the fuel pump.

When you turn the key on it sends electricity to the solenoid and it opens to allow fuel to go through.

If that wire loses electricity for any reason it was shut the truck off like you turned the key off.

Since it starts again after a few minutes maybe you are tripping a circuit breaker or the solenoid may be going bad. It runs through the key switch also so you'd have to check all that out.

There's a screw on the other side of that solenoid. If you screw it all the way in that opens it and it will stay open without electricity.

You can also run a separate hot wire to it and see if it will stay running that way.

I'd like to see your engine. Take a picture of the driver side and take a picture of the passenger side especially where the oil filter is.

Coffey and spsauerland Thank this.
  10. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wow thank you for the detailed response! This is all new to me so I appreciate the knowledge. The next time I will be home when its daylight to get pictures of the engine close up will be this weekend. Ill be sure to do that!

Question, Where are the breakers located on this truck? I cant seem to find them.

Coffey Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    That I do not know. I never had a Kenworth truck.

If you do not get any response make another thread with that specific question. I would try in the regular mechanics forum.

I'm sure someone will have the answer for you.

Coffey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.