1976 K100 Cabover project

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by flipper88, Jan 17, 2020.

1. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Did a little interior cleaning over the weekend. Cleaned the headliner up and found the interior headliner panels in the sleeper. They just need to be cleaned and glued back into place. I also did a good wipe down and vacuum of the entire interior. Much better!

I also fixed the rear lines that were leaking and took it for a quick test drive. It was only my 3rd time driving it, but I'm starting to get the hang of shifting! Fixing the tach and speedometer are my next goals.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Looking good. The staggered gauge layouts on the Kw coe’s were always neat. Still having the original stewert-werner KW tach with the old style needle is a major plus. Dont toss it even if it doesn't work because you can send it off and have it rebuilt to like new. The new tachs have needles that are lacking the style of the old ones and do not have the logo in them.
    Be gentle with the fiberglass head liner too. You will never find another oe replacement. They tear pretty easy when you start pulling around on them.

4. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Thanks! I will be sure to have the old one rebuilt if it needs it. Speaking of gauges, any idea which one I am missing? In my research I have done I have seen so many different gauge arrangements. My best guess is hour meter.

And I know what you mean about the headliner. It is already cracking in several spots. Mostly where it looks like someone tightened the screws down to hard.

Also, does anyone know where to find these fasteners? My dash is loose and I found one of these when vacuuming. The best I can guess is these are what they used to secure the dash.

Attached Files:

5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    What is the white faced gauge? Hard to make out in pic.
    My guess is it may be missing either engine oil temp or the trans temp gauge in that extra hole.
    Most i’ve seen had at least an engine oil temp. The main trans temp and if it had an aux. were optional and each drive axle had an optional gauge availiable.
    The brake application gauge you have was optional o/o spec. Very nice to have.

It’s a preference thing. You can add what you like. I like lots of gauges. The oldtimers I knew called it the “B-17 treatment” when they special ordered as many as they could spec.

Not sure on where that expandable fastener came from. I’ve only seen them used by White and Freightliner to hold on their front radiator grilles.

6. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You can get those fasteners at Freightliner dealer. So I’d think Kw should stock them as well if they used them.

7. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    The white faced gauge is a "Service filter" gauge. I have no idea what filter its for or how it works. It does not have any back lighting, it is glow in the dark.

Thanks I will check them out and see what I can find!

Attached Files:

8. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Its the air filter restriction gauge. It Should be tapped into the filter housing or the pipe between it and the turbo somewhere. If it works correctly the higher it reads the dirtier the filter. Works off vacuum created by the intake flow. Not uncommon for the needle to rise and lower with boost.

9. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I have so many things to learn. Thanks! The speedometer cable has been pulled off the gauge so I'm assuming there is something wrong with the gauge. I keep forgetting to look down during a test drive to see if its spinning or not. That cable has to be a mile long!

10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    There’s probably a very good chance the tach still works. The needles usually break off from a bouncy bad cable first. The majority of the time the cable breaks and it gets removed some time and never replaced. Don't know why that is other than i guess laziness or experienced guys really dont need to rely on a tach to drive. I’ve pulled a few vintage mechanical tachs and speedos outa junk yard trucks that cleaned up and worked great. All but maybe a couple still had the cables hooked to them.
    You can clean up the cable drive ends with wd-40 and grease them up with a good lithium style grease like lubriplate or a graphite type grease made for the cables.

11. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Lol! You said speedometer and I was thinking tach. Oh well everything I said still applies. Doh!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.