1976 K100 Cabover project

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by flipper88, Jan 17, 2020.

1. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Does the Tach run off of a cable like the speedometer does? Maybe the cable I'm looking at belongs to that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Yes. The tach drive for the cable is on the pt pump (fuel pump) right in front of the shutoff solenoid you just replaced.

4. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Your pic shows the cable is still there. May be broken somewhere or the ends may be bad. The ends are Keyed so they only fit one way into the drives.

5. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    You have no idea how much help you are being! Thanks! The speedometer and tach are definitely going to be my weekend project this weekend.

I have called around to get quotes on replacing the windshield and its more expensive than I thought. I have two separate places that have quoted me between $800-$1000.

6. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Its a big piece of glass. 2x. Are they custom cutting them out of shatter proof windshield glass or are they actual replacement pieces? That price seems high unless it’s oe nos replacement and comes with new gaskets with the install. Than maybe.
    I used a place called Thad Ziegler Glass in San Antonio bout 10 years ago for my Pete and it was around $450. They removed one and used it as a template and custom cut the other two and installed them. They are more of a commercial/industrial building and home glass installer than automotive. But Nothing real special or unusual for them to do at the time as I recall.

7. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Nobody I have called can seem to source glass for it so they will need to cut them on site. I also want to have the little outer pieces replaced as well because they are fogged over. The quote is for cutting and installing all four pieces. And they don't know if they can ever get the gasket.

8. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    No doubt Its the corner pieces that are the biggest expense I bet in that quote. The gaskets should be availiable. They are sold by the foot and you glue the ends and splices together. The lock strip that goes in it can be gotten in chrome finish too. May be $40-50 a side. Courtland Truck Works in California has them for the Petes. They restore old Petes. The Kw may be the exact same. I have seen the gasket material on line as well.

9. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I am talking to a local guy who owns a shop and was saying the same thing when it comes to those gaskets. He said he could come over, take the glass out, and take it to a shop to get it cut. Then do the installation for me in my shop and said it would be a lot cheaper than they quoted me.

This is also the same guy who has a freightliner truck I almost bought from him. It was a mobile home toter. We just couldnt come to a deal. I might buy it later down the road if it works out.

Attached Files:

10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Double bunk! nice!
    Sounds like he would do u a better one on the glass so it’s not a rushed job like you'd get the other way most likely.

Is that a ‘49-50 Mercury next to that FL?

11. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Yeah its a solid looking truck. Hasn't ran in years. It was parked because the clutch was going so it would need a clutch.

Not sure exactly what year it was, I honestly paid no attention to it when I was there. We will see but I'm leaning towards using him. I do have a shop the truck can sit in and stay out of the weather.

Attached Files:

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.