1984 3406b ???

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by oldog1984, Aug 24, 2010.

1. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    If I'm not mistaken the 7fb's ran 24 degrees and the 4mg's ran 18. The 7fb's also ran the big cone advance and I'm not sure, but I think the 4mg's ran a short (or small) cone advance.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    My 7fb 425 is 21 degrees. I thought don't hold me to this as I'm not above learning when they went Air to Air they dropped the time from 24 to 21. Or maybe it was the last of the 7fb that went 21. At any rate I am more fond of the 4mg pump and advance at 18 degrees

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Cat is wonky sometimes. When I look up 92U (my engine) I can't find either 375hp or 380hp (can't remember which of the 2 was missing) even though it clearly lists both on the valve cover sticker. As to whether or not the valve cover is original to my engine or not I have no idea.

noluck, Oxbow and wore out Thank this.
  5. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    The change was with air to air, my engine is an 88 build date without air to air and has the 24* cam in it.

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    But I am thinking right? They were 21 degrees

noluck and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    This is interesting: One of my 4MG is 34713 with a build date of 11/08/88, the other is 4MG47299 with a build date of 6/12/88. I would have thought a lower serial number would have been built before a higher serial number. The arrangement number on the 34713 is a 9Y2448, and the timing is 18*. I don't have the other truck close right now to check the arrangement number on it, but I am sure that the timing is also 18*.

The 4MG34713 is in at the Cat shop now getting rebuilt, with stock parts. We pulled it out of the truck and just took the engine in as I want to clean up the frame of the truck and change transmissions too. It will be getting a BW 177148 turbo that I have on the other truck though, unless there is something better now. Any input is appreciated if you guys think I should do something different.
    I should probably have started a new thread, but I think @W900AOwner is probably interested as well.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    wore out Thanks this.
  8. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I don't know the turbo number, but I believe I ran a stock e model turbo. It would boost about 28psi as opposed to the 12 or so the b turbo would push.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Does anyone know anybody who still meter times them? Even the cat house around here doesn't have anyone who knows how.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I think that the 177148 that I have on the other truck is an after market replacement for the E models. It is capable of supporting 550 HP. The gate on mine opens @ 24 to 26 psi according to may gauge.

noluck Thanks this.
  11. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    For what I'm planning on doing with a B, it won't be in any of the sis databases.

#1) I aborted the mission on the B I was considering. I got ahold of my Cat guru, a 40 year Cat performance guy who builds them daily, knows them inside out. Couldn't get him over the weekend till this morning, hence all the commotion here, lol.

That is a 310 I was looking at, and they have to be totally redone to make them anything. The pistons aren't right in them, cam, injectors, turbo, pump needs a hysterectomy. It's just a core engine to me, and if I wanted to build a core I'd go up the road 1.5 miles and buy the 3406B/425 my neighbor is trying to sell me, which is 118 miles closer than this 310HP, and a 1/3rd the cost.

#2)My philosophy on this is simple. I want to get another year out of this thing, while make it pull slightly better. The 100 year plan (or plan for 2018,) is to buy a 3406C (yup, big bucks, but that's the plan,) with a warranty and drop that in place. The C is the ticket, with a beefier bottom end than a B, and can be adjusted to run like I intended one to.

Soooo, in one month from today, me and my Cat guru will be having coffee, removing the existing turbo and replacing it with his preference of Borg Warner, with it being a math game on which ends he prefers to use on it as well. Then he said he can put air and fuel to this A model engine, and like most all of his other work that I've come across and witnessed firsthand...it should be a pleasing improvement for less than the cost of that 310HP core.
    He builds performance engines daily. He did one for a buddy's 389 glider recently, it's a 6NZ bottom and some other mixed-matched components that produced an animalistic amount of HP. That 389 is the King of the Hill around here, around 1000 HP. Time bomb, yes, but that's what the customer wanted and had $45,000.00 to throw away for it all.

That said, I didn't want to rebuild that B and dump thousands of unnecessary dollars into that 310HP thing when I intend to dump "necessary" thousands into a crated C motor with warranty and peace of mind for my grand finale, last hurrah, final truck for the road. Might not make sense to everyone, but it does to me and my portfolio, time frame and projections.

I do appreciate all the input for this subject though, not forgetting to give credit. Just started looking into this Saturday, weekend and holiday made it hard to get the right information from the right sources.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.