1988 4900 Front wheel seal issues

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by n4ane, Oct 25, 2020.

1. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    I replaced the wheel seal and brakes and bearings about a month ago. The truck hasn't really been on the road much maybe 1000 miles since repair was made. I noticed yesterday when I ran the truck that there was some fluid on my tire from the wheel seal. I checked the level and it was down so when I got home I took the wheel and drum off to confirm the issue. Upon disassembly the nut was still tight and there wasn't any play in the hub fluid also had some metallic not much but some. Found that one of my local auto parts place had a new seal (370001a) went home and installed new seal and cleaned shoes due to nobody having them but my local ta at a nice price of $97 I paid $37 at my local fleetpride for the same shoes. Is it possible that it was just a faulty seal? I used the national seal installer. Also spindle is good no groves and same with the hub. Both surfaces are clean and shiny medal when installed. However I have had issues with using national on my f250 rear wheel seals I changed brands and they quit leaking and now going on about 8 years without problems.

Also I found the great cross reference chart is there really on this many different seals for big trucks?
    https://www.conmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/ConMet-Wheel-Seal-Cross-Reference.pdf

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’ve had experiences with Narional seals were some of the older numbers like 340001a on my ‘67 need to be tightened down so tight you cannot turn the hubs at first to make sure they fully slip and seat over the lip on the bearing spindles. Than loosen up and retighten to spec.

4. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Thats how I normally install my wheel seals I am just trying to make sure I am not missing anything I went by my local fleetpride to get some more parts and they said to bring in the old seal and as long as I used the correct install tool they will give me a new one I think when I do s cam bushings on the rear with new shoes and drums I will get a different brand and see if I might have the same problem with national seals like I did with my f250 just to be on the safe side

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.