1988 4964f A/C problems

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by n4ane, May 2, 2021.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    That is what i remember but i was really hoping someone would come and actually reference a spec sheet somewhere :p

Your compressor documentation may have it listed somewhere

Rideandrepair and n4ane Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Total for system is 7%. New compressor comes with oil. When replacing only the compressor. They suggest draining both compressors, and replacing same amount from old, into new compressor. Using the drain plug on top. One ounce stays in compressor. Depending on what all is flushed or replaced. It’s a guess at best. If everything’s new, no brainer. If condenser is original, no telling how much oils still in it.Same with evaporators. Flushing the evaporators, is tough. I flushed mine a while, maybe 8-12 times. Used flush cleaner, water hose, air hose, everything I could think of. I had them off the Truck though. I don’t suggest running water through them on the Truck. Still they never ran completely clear. I should have just replaced them. But got them pretty clean. The dryer picked up residual. That is, it worked. They have estimates on how much oil to add, for line flush, or replacing one line, usually 1 Oz. Per line. Again it’s only a guess, at that point. Sanden has info on oil amounts in a new compressor. It’s pretty accurate. Yet they suggest checking it to make sure. Also has info on how much to add for lines, Longer bunk lines, everything basically. Condensers aren’t expensive. New compressor, lines, condenser. along with flushing evaporators. Should be able to use 7% rule. The question is how much oils in the new compressor. Draining it’s no big deal. Measure and put back in. Remember one ounce is still in compressor. Pretty sure Pag 150 oil is used. Check first, though. I suggest getting the oil with green dye. Remember to turn new compressor using the bolt on center of clutch about 10 revolutions,to lubricate compressor, before charging system. It’s suggested, for best results. I always forget to do it. Too bad you got the wrong compressor, there’s a lot of combinations. Now the question is if it’s just a clutch issue, or a wrong compressor. Might need the same compressor, with different clutch. Unlike a York, changing clutch on Sandens are a PITA. Not worth attempting IMO. Price for clutch vs compressor w/ clutch isn’t much difference.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.