1992 cat 3406c peec problems

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Russle113, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Russle113

Russle113 Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2020
    So the guy I work for bought a 92 Volvo truck pretty cheap and it has a 3406c peec motor. And he is having problems with it, it’ll run good for a while then it won’t run worth a lick it’ll start missing and messing around and won’t hardly run. We’ve change the fuel filters and checked the fuel pressure and it has me stumped. I’ve read on the problems these motors have and just don’t know where to start looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had a 92 peec, only problem I had was the fuel pump. I had it rebuilt, and after running 500 miles it derated, because Cat Dealer didn’t change a sensor inside the fuel pump. Had to install an auxiliary sensor in the block. The whole thing came in a kit. Including wires, and instructions for installing pigtail into original harness plug pins.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    BoxCarKidd and 062 Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Did you check the pressure at the filter head while driving it down the road?
    As best I recall the timing advances were inclined to problems on those. Surely have forgotten most everything I ever thought I knew about them. That normally just caused them to be a dog, not miss or cut out.

650cat425, Rideandrepair and 062 Thank this.
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I would venture to say the rack sensor or timing advance or advance sensor

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Best bet is to convert it to a manual. Hardest part would be finding the throttle linkage. The peec takes away the feel of power, the b and c models were known for. The difference in performance will be amazing. Only good about peec, was having electronic cruise control. You can mash the gas all you want, and it’s only going to go as fast as peec will let it. Otherwise the c model is a great engine, better than the famous b model. Peec electronics gave the c a bad rap.

BoxCarKidd and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    See this is where bad info come into play. There were B and C peecs. There are also full mechanical C's. The right guy can make a peec a mo fo. The wrong guy converts a peec and you got junk. Now to be fair my truck is a 5YG 460hp B model peec. I converted to manual because the peec side of parts are getting hard to get. To convert one properly you #### sure better know what you have so you know what to get. Compression ratio and nozzles have everything to do with what pump cam and timing advance you use

swaan, pushbroom, 062 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I never knew there were b peec s. I thought the b was discontinued and c came out in 92, and were available in both peec and manual, until 95, or 96, when the e came out. Mine was good, ran it to 1 mil. Had fuel pump rebuilt, at a cost of $2000. In the process, the timing advance cover got cracked, and 2 teeth on the bull gear, also suddenly were broke. I suspect they caused it. The certified Cat Dealer, couldn’t even find why the timing cover was leaking. One look, and I could see a hairline crack on it. Probably caused from dropping it on the cement floor. Afterwards, I had to do the sensor upgrade myself, because they failed to replace it, when they rebuilt the fuel pump, even though, I specifically told them to be sure to change it. One big mess, at that point, I traded it off for a Detroit.

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.