1996 western star 4964f

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Cordova, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Cordova

Cordova Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2023
    Happy new year to all
    I have a 1996 western star 4964F I have a warning light that just went on and I cannot figure out what it is. It is not blinking it is just a solid red light. If there’s anybody that can help me that is knowledgeable with these older western stars. It would be kindly appreciated of the first step that I should be taking to figure it out. Here is a picture of the light also, I have a video when I run my diagnostic test if that is needed
    upload_2023-1-2_14-34-26.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Assuming that all of your gauges are working correctly and you don't see any issues with them...

Does that light come on when you turn the key on without starting it? Are you sure you are charging? Perhaps it is the temperature warning light and your sender is having a problem or the wiring? Same for oil pressure switch and wiring.

If for some reason you don't get any answers here I would go to like a Facebook group for that particular truck I'm sure somebody knows what that is.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Wild guess- Parking brake applied

5. Cordova

Cordova Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2023
    Thank you it is greatly appreciated. Give me a place to start looking.

6. Cordova

Cordova Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2023
    No
    No, the parking brake is not applied I can start my truck. The light will be off the minute. I start driving The light goes on

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I had a 92 w/a Cat. Don’t remember what the lights for. Be nice to find an Owners manual. I looked online, no luck. Only newer models. Someone on here has to know.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Cordova

Cordova Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2023
    Thank you for your help

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So you're saying that you can start your truck and sit in one spot and that light will be out. You can sit and release your brakes and that light stays out until you actually put it in gear and you start moving?

That's even more odd because all of the warning lights are either hooked up to sensors or switches.

None of that has anything to do with the truck actually moving or going down the road.

Inter axle lock?

ABS/ Wheel sensor?

Door ajar?

Does it light up when the fan clutch comes on?

If it were me and I really couldn't find any information on it I would first pull that panel off and see if you can follow the wire. It's possible that might run to one of your switches somewhere.

But if I really had to guess I would think it's probably the warning light for either oil pressure or water temperature. I would find wherever the senders are and use a long test line to see if those lines are connected on ohms.

Can't the dealer help you at all? I don't know anything about Western Star but aren't they part of freightliner?

Freightliner has dtna connect it will show you everything on your truck but I don't know whether Western Star has anything like that. But the parts guys for Freightliner have been pretty good if you call the dealer maybe they can help you.

I see there are some Western Star groups on Facebook if you have the capacity to go on there.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Red light on left looks like it says low air. What about the one on the right? Can’t read it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  11. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    What's your Volt Meter Saying...??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.