1999 Engine year exempt?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by luckystar, Sep 30, 2017.

1. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    This engine is in a 2001 Freightliner the sticker on the engine says manufactured in. December 1999. I was convinced this truck would be ELD exempt but today a DOT man said it is not ELD Exempt because it has the required connections. I even told him about the new guidance published by the FMCSA and he said since it has the required connections it will Not be exempt. I assumed that lots of 2000 model trucks with 1999 engines would be exempt??

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    It has the data port the same as newer trucks, but if you use a plug and play ELD it will shut off with the engine. There is no constant power to the data port, the. Newer models have constant power and a plug and play ELD will work without extra wiring, that is why they choose 1999 as the cutoff point.
    The dot man sees a data port and assumes more than he should, it is going to get crazy in December but remember the world will be safer.

rank, Timin770, Oxbow and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I posted this the other day, my thoughts on engine year vs model year of the truck and why I think going by engine year isn't a good idea.

luckystar and DUNE-T Thank this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The truck you see in the avatar according to the vin is a model year 2000 Freightliner Argosy. It was assembled on Oct 4, 1999. It has a EPA model year 1999 Series 60 Detroit engine. It is exempt from the ELD requirement. I have been running a JJ Keller Mobile ELD application since January with no problems, and will continue to do so. Some 1999 and earlier model year engines have problems, hence the cutoff date of model year 2000 engines.
    We have about a dozen 2000 model year (vin)trucks in our fleet with exactly the same scenario. Our safety dept is accumulating the needed documentation and allowing those drivers to choose whether or not to use ELD's.

fbwku and luckystar Thank this.
  6. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    What documentation are you accumulating?

7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    That is the tricky part. The FMCSA says the driver doesn't have to have the documentation in the truck, it has to be on file at the carrier. But they haven't told the carriers exactly what documentation is required.

snowman_w900 and luckystar Thank this.
  8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I attended a presentation by FMCSA Director DeLorenzo yesterday. This came up as part of it. He said that the company authority (which could be the driver if he is his or her own authority, but not necessarily IN the truck) needs to keep "records of motor and engine changes." I think they deliberately left that one sentence vague because there is no "standardized record of engine changes" or the like. Here is their record-keeping rule section for reference with that statement: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

bigguns and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  9. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Just curious, but did DeLorenzo happen to clarify or touch on the subject of weather or not a 1999 manufactured tractor and engine but titled as a 2000 is exempt?

I have read several articles that are saying that is the new reg, but ultimately it would be up to your carrier obviously to enforce that rule. If you had your own authority and a truck and engine manufactured in late 1999 yet it's titled as a 2000 year model, you'd still be exempt from what's been written as of now.

10. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Driver, do you have where that was written out. I would like to print that out and laminate it to keep in the truck with me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.