1st Day.... Doh!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jan 9, 2018.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Thought newbies might like this. At least entertainment....
    Here I sit in a Hotel Room In Denver. Paid for by my new employer. They got me a room in a LaQuinta. Not the Super8 next door.... :)
    Here I am a new CDL holder.
    Never driven a loaded heavy tractor trailer before.
    Came here for orientation, training, on a pneumatic trailer. Then to go OTR.

Well? ... first day here and.... hehe
    Im driving a 53foot dry van, fully loaded, on the freeway, in Downtown Denver, at 9am! . .... Doh!
    They called it a driving test. Doh!

It looks like I passed. They extended the reservations for my room through Friday night. Doh!
    The guy riding with me who 'tested' me said: I'm impressed. You're good. ..... Doh!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You could have paid the price difference in cash maybe and got into the Super 8. I like super 8's

Now Laquintas... erg.... I bests shut. up. before I get bit by moderators. he he.

My driving test in Maryland back in the 80's was in a place called Glen Burnie on the old Route Two I think at the very big huge DMV there. To properly understand Glen Burnie back in them days before I-97, imagine walls of construction 6 feet high 11 feet apart with a lane in each. And everyone wanting OUT.

here I am sweating and struggling with a old 72 cabover transtar and a 45 foot I think it was, pines trailer maybe or a wabash? Though that offset hell of a construction and back to the DMV. Managed to pass.

On the way home to the school yard to collect the personal vehicle with that shiny class A (80's) I hear one of my female class mates tell us all about the nice drive she had on the other end with parks everywhere and soft music.

Feel like the Dukes Policeman Coal train gnz gnz gnz lol.

Farmerbob1 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  4. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Oh the thrills of being a green horn. Lol I can smell the burnt clutch from here hahaha. The time will fly before you know it, I'm 7yrs in and still loving it.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Thought I'd add...
    When I did that 'test'. We sent to unload at a company. Although this place had loading docks lined up. There was one separate for incoming (somehow). Who was there? Prime! Waited an hour for his unload. Right next to that was a spot where our pneumatic trailers unload. One came while we were there.
    I had a heck of a time backing that thing to the loading dock. It just wasn't backing consistent. The guy who 'tested' me. He was the mechanic. All he would do is talk about the fifth wheels and some are bad after that. Gives ya a hint as to what was going on. I got the trailer perfectly straight on that dock. But with the tractor sitting at a 30 degree angle. I took what worked. I wasn't going to waste time trying to make it look pretty. Only one dock there. Didn't have to. .... I"m not even going to be doing a job like this with dry van and loading docks. ... hehe.... but it was fun.
    I was trying to shift this truck like a 13 speed. Never had a 10 speed before. I had ignored that one gear, far left and down. You do so on a 13. Unless you really need it down low. I was having a little difficulty 'skipping' that gear. When working with the transmission. That guy who 'tested' me told me. Even though you're working with those gears. Your primary attention is on all the traffic. And where your truck is at. I'm impressed by that. You're good. ....Then told me I really needed to start using that gear, far left, and down. :) ... When I did that. Any trouble with shifting disappeared ... Doh!

Right now I'm sitting here... 2:30am. I went to sleep after work. Woke up. Odd hours are my way. I told the boss I just fine with coming in at anytime. 3am is ok with me. He said his day drivers would whine if he asked them to do that. I told him the time doesn't matter to me. Anytime is ok. In fact... I love 4 to 5am the most...it's the most beautiful time of the day.
    Right now I'm happy as can be with life...
    Probably should get a couple hours more sleep before work. ... be there at 7.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I actually have some trouble coming out of what I call 5th low which would be the far right side of box and back into N and then all the way across the box into high range 6th which is very close to the drivers seat.

I don't particularly enjoy the 10 speed for that reason, but if I can land that 6th Im good. I prefer the short 9s from Rockwell and the under drives as well as the mack 15's

Sometimes you watch someone come out of 5th low into what is actually 7th high and scratch.. hmmm... *Shrugs.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Denver in rush hour is a good test, if you have no bullet holes you passed.

8. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    And if you have a contact high you took too long. :D

Oxbow, shogun, KillingTime and 7 others Thank this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    wow you drove down the freeway in a Tractor with a 53' trailer attached Dooh and your trainer said you were great dooh well boy are you in for one big surprise, give us a call after you've been out on the road for another 12 months dooh and let me know how you feel.

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I had to go to a 3rd party test facility years ago, when CDL's became a requirement. I wasn't grandfathered in.

So I show the instructor a pre trip on an old International day cab, and 48' van trailer. He asked me if I could shift a 10 speed, because they were letting people drive it like a 9 speed, if they wanted. I said I could, and off we went.

I was floating the gears, like I normally did, on this approximately 20 mile 45 minute trip. When we were reentering the yard, he said "ya know, in the book, it says to use the clutch when shifting"....I'm thinking DAMMITTE!! I just failed! when he says "but I drive like you do, and if I see someone can float the gears properly, I don't write it up."

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.