1st time westcoast trip

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by jelyrol111960, May 28, 2010.

1. jelyrol111960

jelyrol111960 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2010
    Hi from middle Georgia USA!!! I am getting ready for my very first west coast trip,anyone have any suggestions on my run? I been truckin' for 23 years,only in southeast.All sugestions welcome, Thanks, Jelyrol

Baack and kickin chicken Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hi, jelyrol111960, Welcome to our Truckers Forum! We hope you enjoy your stay and please read our RULES. We hope to help you and get to know you soon! Thanks, jelyrol111960!

jelyrol111960, do you have a question about how to do something? Try our FAQ section or you can Private Message any Trucker Forum Staff Member (50 posts not required to PM a Moderator) to ask a question! Also, you can read through our Truckers Forum Information Center!

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  4. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Baack Thanks this.
  5. dmg1029

dmg1029 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    where are you heading out west? I'm from NW and run all over 48 and canada.

Baack and kickin chicken Thank this.
  6. jeannie62

jeannie62 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2010
    small town in S.W.Missouri
  7. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    If you're driving to "Shaky" (CA), you have Supercoops on I-10 (Banning) and I-80 (Truckee). Double-nickel truck limit is heavily enforced, as are "lane restrictions." In rural areas, I usually run about 62 or 63 m.p.h. with my CB on at all times; you can get away with going a bit faster in urban areas IF the traffic is flowing at a good clip. Keep your logbook up to date unless you LIKE donating to the CHP "Widows & Orphans Fund" (in other words, you'll be buying some of the beer for the annual CHP picnic). If you're going into OR, be sure you have an OR permit in your truck BEFORE you roll up on any scale... if you don't already have a permit, have one faxed to you, preferably BEFORE you cross the state line. I-5 is one long double-nickel corridor from the Mexican border to the Canadian border, and cities along this corridor are notorious for heller traffic during peak hours: Los Angeles, Portland, and Seattle in particular, so you might want to time your entry or exit accordingly. An old hand like you probably already knows to keep plenty of water aboard your truck: the desert gets HOT this time of year, and it's no place to break down---people die in southwestern deserts every year. In a related sense, good rubber is essential, and air pressure is critical, as blowouts are more likely to occur on scorching hot pavement this time of year (this statement will be borne out by increased gator sightings). You've heard that old expression? "Hotter than Georgia asphalt..." Well, that line also works over here. Other than that, I can't think of anything you don't already know... I'm new here as well (to this site, I mean), but it seems to be an active site and there are some excellent observations made here which can really help someone with less experience than you have. Enjoy your trip! Good luck, and "Adios!"

8. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    My only advice is try not to wreck while you admire the scenery on the way out there.

Baack Thanks this.
  9. dmg1029

dmg1029 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    just take a bit of time to enjoy. keep in mind the grades also!:biggrin_25525:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  10. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    kickin chicken and Baack Thank this.
  11. 1nighttrain

1nighttrain Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Steelton, PA
    Enjoy it, some of the most beautiful country in the world, been there, done that, ran out of Seattle, WA for years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.