2 Million+ Mile Newbie!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by rain, Dec 4, 2012.

1. rain

rain Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Howdy All,
    I just ended a 31 year career with Hostess Brands (Wonder Bread/Hostess Cakes), out of Sacramento, CA. ...or should I say THEY ended it for me. Closed their doors on Nov. 16th, a couple weeks ago. I'm 52, got a pension, but not nearly enough to make ends meet. So, I'm looking for a decent company out here in my neck of the woods to drive for. I spent 95% of my years working nights and only delivering to our own facilities, so not much opportunity to talk with drivers outside the company. I was strictly local (Northern and Central Calif., with an occasional trip over the hill into Reno), and home every day. A pretty "sheltered" life as truckers go...which is why I consider myself a newbie with over 2 million miles.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get rich. I'd be tickled with $40-50K a year. My biggest concern right now is healthcare for myself and family. I realize I'll most likely be going OTR, at least for a while, and I'm OK with that as long as I don't need to send my family pictures to remind them what I look like. You just hear so many pro's and con's about all these companies...don't know where to start! I got a call from Werner offering to put me to work...then I jumped into a forum and guys were saying to avoid them like the plague, while others say they aren't so bad.

Any guidance out there for an "Old/Newbie like me would be much appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Waco

Waco Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Tavares,Fl.
    Hey Jeff
    Yea i saw that coming listening too the news flash that they were going out of buisness.
    All i can suggest is too visit any truckstops close by you and talk too diff drivers too get the real story and take what you hear in these forums with a grain of salt when reading alot of the Neg. posting it make take more than one company working there to find what fits you best,I always tell drivers there's no one company better or worse than the other its what you want too deal with.
    Good luck old Friend in your search.

4. Larryparker

Larryparker Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boynton beach, FL
    Wishing you the best of luck in your search. I was layed off last Friday, and I have started my search. No, I did not work for hostess, an I have always been OTR, except for a short time my dad was sick several years ago. I hope its not an up hill battle. I hope you will get something that you will be happy with and can take you to retirement.

If Nothing else hope you have a good holiday season

Safe Miles,

Larry

5. DOTrevenuepatrol

DOTrevenuepatrol Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    Im sure there are plenty of local jobs in Sacremento that will get you home daily or nightly. Dont settle for OTR unless you have to.

6. rain

rain Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2012
    That's what I was thinking. I want to exhaust the local possibilities before I consider OTR. Thanks for all the well-wishes. The same to all of you. Merry Christmas

Jeff

7. ge23ll

ge23ll Light Load Member

May 14, 2009
    weimar, ca
    why dont you try unfi in rocklin.

8. rain

rain Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks ge23ll . Went over to the Unfi website and there was a listing for a CDL delivery driver. It was originally posted back in sept., but according to the website they're taking apps until January. So I put mine in. Thanks again for the tip!

9. ge23ll

ge23ll Light Load Member

May 14, 2009
    weimar, ca
    i work at unfi as a loader.

10. rain

rain Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Ahh, I did wonder how you knew about this company. Well, that explains it! I've lived in Rocklin for about 7 years now. I've seen their trucks, but never knew they had a plant in Rocklin. So, how do they treat you? Are you happy there? How big is the fleet? Thanks

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check these also:I believe they have terminals near you.

Interstate Distributor
    System Transport
    A&R Transport
    Marten Transport

You can check their websites; they have regional, like the Western 11 states only.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.