2 Weeks through truck school

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by us_armyson562, Mar 10, 2014.

1. us_armyson562

us_armyson562 Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    What's going on everyone

Names D I live in el Paso tx 2 weeks through trucking school at International schools. I'm looking to get into oil as I used to roughneck but don't really want to work floors anymore but probably still will. Getting my CDL because a lot of compannies see it as a plus for drilling but also as a backup plan I can drive I got a 2 yr med card. Any info/help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete rookie when it comes to truck driving. Been good so far at school some time this week will be driving through busier streets. Dam I had no idea how much is involved while operating a big rig, but its fun and right hand turns are another animal. But as far as career choices after school been looking to get into flatbed and then move up to heavy haul that looks cool. As for companies their is so many to consider. Been looking at either getting back to oil or OTR with Melton or TMC. But then again I have not looked at all and I think their is a good amount of companies that will pick me up from el Paso. But anyway I have my class A permit with tanks and doubles/ triples. Looking to get hazmat after school. I also have a wife and 3 kids so my wife and kids will have to adjust with me. I'm lucky to have a great wife. But like I said any advice or help or companies to start with will be nice. I do understand like anything I ha ve to pay my dues and that's cool with me. Any advice is always welcome for me. I want to find a good company to work my ### off to be able to take care of my wife and kids.

Thx for any help

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Melton is a good choice. System Transport is also good.

The best pay will be with tankers. You will need hazmat. Here's some companies that hire new CDL graduates:

Trimac
    Superior Carriers
    CTL Transportation
    Schneider Bulk
    SVTN

4. us_armyson562

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    appreciate it sir. tomorrow in school will be doin parallel parking, kind of nervous. I have done great on my road driving as far as shifting but down shifting is still something I need to get better at. and right hand turns still make me sweat a lil bit but overall its a good experience but I will definitely check out those companies as well thank you again. any tips on parallel parking??? and yes will definitely be getting the hazmat even tho its expensive will open up a lot of doors.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. Knight_Rider

Knight_Rider Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Corona, CA
    First time i had to parallel park I had to drop a DEUCE so bad in pennsylvania but the truck stop had straight parking spots only lol I parallel parked and ran in the bathroom.. when I returned I was like .. how the hell did I do that?

Anyways man.. trick is to make sure there is enough room for you to park first of all .. second start well ahead of the end of the trailer you will be parking behind and start backing up in a slanted line little by little getting closer to the curb not all at once.. just pay attention to your left side and left mirror dont worry about the right as that has nothing to do with where you're headed.. and when you turn in make sure your nose wont tear off the trailer in front... its like parallel parking a car just imagine it as a long ### car.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. us_armyson562

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    thx for the tips on parallel parking man. did good and did a good job on my road driving today with my instructor. drove through busy downtown area in el paso. i know its nothing like the majors, i am from long beach and can only imagine driving through Los angeles, san francisco and the major east coast and other places to long to list. i did good on the parallel parking too. im still thinking whether to go back to the oil fields or OTR my instructor said OTR gives you the experience. i dont know it all looks fun and challenging.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Long Beach...was there many years ago stationed on the USS New Jersey (BB-62).

8. us_armyson562

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    Ya driving in el Paso tx has been a different experience have a lot of people from Juarez mexico

9. Knight_Rider

Knight_Rider Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Corona, CA
    Listen Man.. Oil fields I hear makes you good money but OTR is cool because you actually will see things I mean yea LA and Chicago and this and that are hard but hell man if we wanted something quick and easy we'd just work in an office
    or at a fastfood joint. If you're going to be adventurous then be so.. don't put on your jump suit and parachute .. get on a plane then decide you're afraid of heights.. know what I mean?

10. us_armyson562

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    Yeah bud that's why too my instructor told me OTR is where u learn all your experience. Plus I like the feeling of seeing the country and going everywhere. R u an OTR driver?

11. us_armyson562

Mar 8, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    I really want to do flatbed and then into heavy hauling. So many types of jobs with trucking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.