2000 9400 international instruments cluster

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by snowman_w900, Aug 4, 2018.

1. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    The other day, the speedo and tach stopped working while running down the road. Tapped on the center of the cluster, gauges came back to life.

Here's the odd thing. A week before that happened, the voltage gauge was reading 12. Thats all the higher it would read. Truck has almost new batteries and alternator on it, I checked them and the output with a OHM meter, it showed charging around 13.6 - 14.2. So it was changing correctly, the gauge just wasn't reading right. We replaced the voltage gauge and still shows low charge.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm told the main cluster (speedo and tach) control the other gauges. Trying to see what else to check before I purchase a new cluster.

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The volt gauge is actually an electronic data gauge that is fed data from the engine. Usually whatever the volt gauge is reading is what the ECM is getting for battery voltage. So you need to see if the engine is getting proper power and ground. If you have a scan tool, most ECMs will report the voltage they are getting. If your batteries are at 14 volts, but the ECM is only getting 12, then you have an ECM power supply problem.

AModelCat, wore out and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  5. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    Thanks @Heavyd

This truck has a N14 in it.

Any idea what pin I'd need to check?

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    With a N14 your engine might still be getting power from the starter positive stud. Check there for two fuse holders nearby. Open them up, make sure they are clean and fit tightly. Also make sure the eyelet on the positive post of the starter is also clean and tight. From there those power wires go to a three wire connector. Disconnect this too and check the pins inside for any corrosion or melting. Two will be power, the other will be ground. White is always ground on Internationals, the power wires are going to be purple. Follow the ground back to the block and make sure it is clean and tight too. Follow the ground cable from the block back to the starter ground and make sure it is good. The three wire connector connects to the engine harness. It goes to the Actuator harness connector which is the top inside connector at the ECM. Battery pins are 20, 21, 22 and 23. Ground pins are 9, 25 and 27. If you check for power and ground, make sure you load test the wire by powering a headlight with it. Sometimes a bad wire will show full voltage with a digital meter, but the wire isn't good enough to power a regular light bulb.

Oxbow, Tug Toy, QUALITYTRUCK and 2 others Thank this.
  7. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    I appreciate that. I'm gonna go check that out next.

One thing I did try is I pulled the volt gauge out, it's the 4 stud push in style, and it showed 12 volts to a couple those posts where the gauge plugs in but it showed 13.5+ at the batteries. Put a new gauge in, same deal.

Tug Toy and Heavyd Thank this.
  8. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    I wanted to update what my issue was on this truck. Hopefully it might help someone in the future.

@Heavyd , just wanted to thank you for the tip on the purple wires (fuse holder wires) that connect together at the starter. I found 1 that was broken off from the ring terminal. After fixing that, unfortunately my volt gauge was still reading incorrectly. 12 was all it would do.

I think what might have happened was the one wire that had broken from the terminal arced and possibly shorted a circuit in the cluster.

I ended up replacing the center cluster circuit board (the one for the tach and speedo) and that fixed my problem. $512 for the circuit board. You reuse your gauges, light bulbs, indicator light housing, and low air buzzer. Not a bad job, just a pita to track the problem down without having a way to test that circuit board, so once I fixed the wiring and ran outta ideas, I bit the bullet and replaced the board.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks for the update @snowman_w900 ! That will no doubt help someone in the future.

Tug Toy and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Thanks Snowman, my spare truck currently has no speedo, gives me someplace to start looking

Tug Toy, snowman_w900 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.