2000 Century DT 60 series "Engine controller no response"

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Chirt, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Chirt

Chirt Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Lowell MA
    hey guys, Long story....

I need some help with this problem... The other day I took the truck for a spin and after 20 miles driving on highway the engine died on me...:biggrin_25510:I pulled over on the brake down lane and tried to restart. It did start but as soon as I started to move it quit again and then would not start so I noticed the check engine light was not coming on or blinking like it usually does so I went to DIAGNOSTICS on the cluster and it said ENGINE CONTROLLER NO RESPOND 128s254 7o

I asked my wife to watch the cluster to let me know if the CK EN light came on while I went to the battery and checked the fuse that feeds the Ecu and it was fine, I played around with the wire harness under the hood still nothing, Went back to the batteries and now the fuse was blown I installed another fuse, the truck started and I went home.

I went to Freightliner bought a new harness from the battery to the ECU, Right after I installed the harness the lights came on I cranked but it did not start, when I stopped cranking that code was back again.:biggrin_2552:
    Once again I checked the fuse on the batts and it was fine I unplugged the connector at the ecu and checked with a test light if it had power, ground and it did. plugged it back in the ecu tried again and this time truck started right up so I went to the ecu and shook the ecu harnesses kind of hard to see if the motor would stall and it didn't.

The truck sat for 2 days I went to start it same thing no lights same code was back so i turned the ignition off and back on again and after like 10- 15 seconds i heard a click like from a relay and the lights came on the code went away and the engine started. so YEsterday (FRIDAY) I took the whole dash apart looking for this relay but found none There was another relay clicking behind the driver's seat on that fuse panel so I shook those wires and a relay and the brake valves would all click on and off so I started checking all wiring connectors and found a wire connector loose and thought that was my problem! but it wasn't because I started the engine and unplugged that connector and the engine did not die but anyways I got something fixed I guess that connector has something to do with the ABS system since the abs module is on that fuse panel.

So if anyone has a wiring diagram for the ecu I would really appreciate so I would know how to repair the circuit My best guess is that something is cutting out from the cab to the ecu.
    Thanks!

Exiled Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chirt

Chirt Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Lowell MA
    update... in case someone is having same issue.
    the other day I pulled the connectors out of the ecu and found that the harness coming from the cabin was rubbing against the ecu case and there were about 5 wires exposed probably causing a short and my problem. bought a good elect tape and took care of that.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    check ECM power supply first. Start in battery box

5. blazerbob

blazerbob Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Im haveing the same problem :biggrin_2552: drove it home last night pluggged in the heater went to fire it up this morning .cranks fine no start same code engine controller no response I have power at the ecm fuses @ the batterys any more ideas?

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    may be wiring....

7. Chirt

Chirt Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Lowell MA
    there is an ecm fuse or breaker in the fuse box inside the cab check that one out, also check the ground wires that feeds the ecm I don't know what kind of truck you have but on the Century the ground wires are bolted on the rear frame near the batteries.

8. blazerbob

blazerbob Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2012
    thanks I did find two bad wires at the ecm fuses by the batterys repaired those .the lights are on now and I can get codes from them but it still wont start.I'm going to pull the fuel filters and see if they might be gelled up?

9. blazerbob

blazerbob Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Well my truck still wont start .I found 2 bad wires by the batt box for the ecm .I repaired those changed both filter and water seperator this had about a half inch of ice so any way now the lights on the dash are coming on ck eng and shutdown . but while its cranking over fault codes come on the display .[ not every time I try to start it ] I can check these while its rolling over .but this thing wont even fire on ether /starting fluid .Im about ready to start pulling what hair I have left out :Tow truck: so I was wondering if anybody has any more ideas . sometimes while its cranking the code comes back up that engine controller no response but the code doesn't stay in memory.

10. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    may be battery voltage drop with starter current.....

11. blazerbob

blazerbob Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I'm thinking about running new wires to the ecm? from the batterys up to the computer . I am showing voltage at the ecm plug /with a test light I dont have a volt meter \

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.