2000 sterling won’t start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mte, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Mte

Mte Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2020
    I swapped cab on 2000 Sterling with a C12 cat engine. I bought same year cab. Everything is identical. Truck started and ran fine before the swap. But now when I turned key on and push the start button it won’t start. The first time it made the normal sounds. But as soon as pushed the button it sounded like a relay blowed and killed everything. I was very careful with the harness and fuse panel during the swap. And feel confident that all was hooked back up exactly like before. Any help appreciated

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Did you check the fuses and relays?

4. Mte

Mte Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Yes I checked all. They all good. I’m wondering if because I had to u hook the trucks computer if it caused a problem?

5. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Don't know if you can but use another computer simaliar to the one you have maybe you fried that computer. Idk

6. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567

Double check your grounds and power. If you have no power after trying to start you more than likely crossed a power/ground to the starter. Check your main fuses on the firewall driver fender.

7. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Also check your ground to the ECM. On mine it’s next to the ECM grounded to block. Though yours may be in by batteries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.