2001, 379, speedometer problem, no odometer, no trip meter.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All, especially @pushbroom

The speedometer on my Pete, is acting up, the speedometer needle still registers the correct speed of travel, however the odometer and the trip meter no longer work. I pulled the panel that holds the speedometer unit, there is NO cable such as the old style drive cable going into the unit, all I could find is a single electrical plug that has about 6 contact points in it.

Does anyone know if this is a repairable item or does it have to be replaced, if it can be repaired who would do such a job, if it has to be replaced is this something I as an owner can do or is it something that a shop has to do? Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    It will have to be replaced. New style will have a digital odometer instead of the rolling digits. Make a note of the dip switch settings on the back to transfer over to the new unit. Easy to do by yourself.

If you dont like the looks of the digital odometer you might be able to find a used one or get someone to rebuild it. Should be an amtek 900 series speedo.

4. Mr. Cob

Howdy pushbroom,

I really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it, I hope my constant questions aren’t a bother to you.

I’ll look into getting a replacement the one now in the truck I am sure is the original and has 1.6 million miles on it so it’s about time to get another. Thanks again for your help.

Dave

pushbroom Thanks this.
  5. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    It can be opened and possible fixed but it's a pain in the butt

Mine was acting erratically when I first bought the truck. The solder holding the connector socket to the board was failing. Had to slowly pry the bezel away from the housing to get it apart. Quick solder job and put it back together. I managed to break the glass getting it apart but a local glass company cut me a new piece for $10

Your problem sounds more mechanical than electrical so I don't think the fix will be as easy as mine (I'm assuming it's a mechanical odometer). Hard to tell until it's opened up

I have no experience with this place but they offer repair services on eBay:
    99-04 Peterbilt 379 Speedometer ,Repair Service | eBay

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  6. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Hey Dave get ahold of Mr Pliska at ISSPRO in Portland. They might be able to repair that gauge for you.

EverLuc and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  7. Mr. Cob

Howdy RocketScott,

Thanks for your suggestions and reply.

Dave

8. Mr. Cob

Howdy Roberts450,

Thanks for the information and your reply.

Dave

9. cruisercalm

cruisercalm Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Rocket Scott
    You can get speedo repaired at a shop in Tulsa, Look up AR Speedometer & Gauge, You can send it to them. Pretty quick service for around 150 bucks

EverLuc and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy cruisercalm,

Thanks, I forgot to up date this thread, another driver gave me this information, I sent the speedo to these folks they fixed for me, it's working well.

Dave

EverLuc Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.