2004 - 2007 Volvo choices

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by HaulinCars, May 27, 2017.

1. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Greetings all Volvo knowledgeable persons!

I am looking to get a "New" truck. For various reasons I'm looking for either a Western Star or a Volvo. I have already gotten the information I need on the WAS but I have some Volvo specific questions, I'm hoping I can get some quality answers here.

This is a list of most of the important things I'm looking for:

2004-2007

Wheelbase: Pretty much the longer the better. I need at least 80" from the kingpin to the back of the sleeper. 90" better, 110" perfect. To help accommodate that I will be relocating the 5th wheel so that it is directly over the aft axle. Is this sort of measurement even possible in a factory offering? Extending the frame would be a possibility but I would really rather not have to go to that extent.

Engine: Cat, Cummins, or DD. (Do NOT want a Volvo motor)

Trans: 13 or 18 speed but would like information about the automatic offerings in those years BUT ONLY IF that is an option with a non-volvo motor.

Cab/sleeper: This is VERY IMPORTANT to me and is 1 of the reasons the Volvo is on my list. I need/want the largest sleeper version possible. Refrigerator and microwave mandatory (and not a homebrew bungie cord install).

Sink: I am 100% certian that I saw a Volvo advertising page once that talked about an optional sink kit that was available. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated.

So, my questions are related to exactly what model of Volvo tractor should I be looking at in order to get the features I'm after.

There is no local Volvo dealer for me and the dealer's I have called only want to talk about new equipment, not something 10-13 years old. It is likely that the people currently there don't even know that much about products that old anyway. That's why I'm here asking.

Thanks to all in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    What you are looking for in a Volvo is possible but very hard to find I've seen only 3 they were haulers for NASCAR auto 18 speed with clutch and long wheelbase fully loaded with everything you looking for and long chassis problem is that people that have these trucks still drive them to this day very hard to find anything that people do not want this kind of truck is hard for people to let go and very hard to find in Volvo I don't know how much easier western star would be

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  4. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    SO you are looking for a fisherprice toy
    ANd not for a real truck.

5. HaulinCars

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    So it sounds like what I'm looking for is likely possible, but it might be hard to find.

What model truck would that be?

Is that auto transmission available with a non-volvo motor? Is that transmission reliable or is it one of the ones they were still learning on when it was built?

6. HaulinCars

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Did I mention that I was looking for HELPFUL replies?

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    780 model with extended chassis comes with Cummins isx usually 545 or sig 600 but will be very hard to find and a very steep price tag cuz whoever has ordered it like this

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Might have to look for an 880, but I've only seen those with the D16 Volvo engine.

Might want to find a cheap one & build it yourself. Last time I did a frame stretch it was about $3K.

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  9. HaulinCars

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    I just searched truck paper for the 88. Only 11 listed but yeah, they were all Volvo powered.

Are all the sleepers on the 780 the same size? That looks to be the case, would just like to verify that.

As for a frame stretch, that cost sounds about in line with the places I have checked with. I'm not strongly opposed to it but would prefer if it was factory.

On the other hand, it is not grossly expensive to have it done and at the same time relocating the 5th wheel might save slightly on the relocation (couple hundred maybe).

One thing for sure, if I can get the rest of what I want, (which should not be to difficult) a custom frame stretch could then be done to give me dead on the pin to sleeper length I want.

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yea, you may have to build it yourself, never seen a long WB Volvo.

They are made for turning in tight areas, that's why I have mine.

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    There is no 880 with cummins biggest one. Is 780 all 880 come with d16 Volvo power got enough torque but would not suggest it

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.