2004 columbia mbe4000 power problems

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Vinnie Donuts, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Vinnie Donuts

Vinnie Donuts Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Hello, I recently purchased an 04 columbia with a mercedes engine. The truck is in great condition, runs great, 520k on the tach, 12 speed merritor automatic. Just took my first load to st paul, mn from chicago and was very frustrated and borderline nervous about the lack of power from this engine. It's a rather flat run with the exception of some minor hills in wisconsin. I was pulling a 53 with 29k inside. This truck literally took 10 miles from a toll booth to get up to 55-60mph and was barely able to hang on. I was able to hit 65 once on this 400 mile trip on a big down hill. When I was at 65 the slightest, and I mean SLIGHTEST up hill the truck would drop to 45 ish. It even managed to crawl to 37mph on a little bit bigger of a hill. Huge traffic jam, 4 ways on, and smack talk over the cb. Any ideas about where my issue is? I understand this engine is no massive powerhouse cat, isx, or 60 series, but it should be able to pull 29k right? My company goes east and I'm really afraid what will happen in the mountains of PA. If you need more information please feel free to ask. I'm new to the industry and would appreciate the help. Thanks all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I've got a Mercedes, sounds like I would start by changing fuel filters. Secondary first- if it didn't improve- then the primary filter.

I would also check the turbo brake and make sure it was not hanging up. Smack it with a hammer from the front side to the back- if the linkage moves back, it's partially closed- common problem.

This motor's had its' share of problems, but lack of torque is not one of them.

4. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Thank you for your quick reply. Where are the filters located? I've only seen one fuel filter, driver side, top of motor, and the separator filter near that. Also, I'm assuming the turbo brake its attached to the turbo or is it somewhere else along the charge piping?

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Do you know what your engine rating is? These go to 450, and also is yours a pre-egr engine or not.

A lot of the '04s were grandfathered in with the pre-egr engine, which gave much better fuel mileage, and had good power. One major weak spot for those was head gaskets and turbos, but I have heard the head gasket thing was fixed. I drove a pre-egr off and on for four years. When it was in the shop and I had to use an egr engine, I was not a happy camper with the fuel mileage and less power.

6. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Do you mean horsepower rating? I thought they only made 1 benz motor. It is pre egr.

7. dave26027

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    The primary filter can be in different locations- it's commonly low, on the driver's side- on the frame next to your steer tire, but can be found farther forward, by the front fender. The secondary filter is above the driver's side steer tire, on the side of the engine. When you change the secondary filter, unscrew the brass collar at the base of the filter before you remove the filter cap. Most folks don't know this, but there's a metal check ball in the fitting at the filter base- it cuts off the fuel so it won't all drain out while you remove the paper element. After the filter's replaced and the cap's on tight, thread the brass collar back on and you won't need to fill the fuel filter bowl manually while changing the paper element.

The oil filter is on the front of the engine, slightly to the passenger's side- tilted to the front.

And the turbo brake is at the base of the turbo- I'm guessing your model might have a metal loop that goes over the top of the assembly. If it does, you can move it by hand, but don't rap on it too hard with a hammer. If you don't see a metal loop over the exhaust pipe, you might see some linkage behind the turbo hooked to a slave cylinder (like the air cylinder on a sliding fifth wheel)- that's the turbo brake.

If it's partially closed it might free up with some good penetrating oil on the linkage- but usually it's worn out or rusted up.

Vinnie Donuts Thanks this.
  8. dave26027

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    MBE can be an expensive toy- but yours is pre-egr, it'll be a good one. Just need to make sure it gets fuel, air and exhaust flow without restrictions.

9. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Thank you sir for the prompt and descriptive response. I'll check the turbo/brake when I get to the yard in the morning. Also, is this motor known for little to no turbo noise? I just don't hear it while idling/driving

10. dave26027

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Mine makes noise- I'll bet yours needs something it's not getting. You'll notice the difference when it's fixed.

Would be a good idea to check air filter restriction, too- a clogged air filter will kill your torque.

And it wouldn't hurt to check the boots on the air-to-air cooler. A loose hose causing intake boost to leak out can be another common problem.

11. Vinnie Donuts

Feb 24, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    I hope this is a cheap, easy fix as I'm just starting the o/o game and the funds are low right now. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.