2005 9200 instrument panel malfunction

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by tanksalot, Jun 15, 2012.

1. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    I have a 2005 International 9200 with a Cummins ISM engine. The engine runs fine but the truck has developed an instrument panel problem. The water temp, oil pressure warning lights flash, the tachometer and speedometer, the voltmeter, oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge, each pin to the right side of each gauge. I have checked the connections on the panels, cleaned the cab grounds both inside the cab and on the firewall and checked the breaker for the instrument panel. (interestingly enough, the first time I pulled the breaker to check it and then re installed, all the gauges worked fine for another day and a half.)
    I have spoken to the dealer and he offered up that I had a data link issue, which provided no resolution to my problem.
    One other thing, all lights and gauges respond normally upon start up, but it only takes about 5 seconds to fail after that.

I certainly would be interested in hearing how others might have resolved this same issue or from anyone that could offer up some further insight.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    The international guage cluster module is famous for this issue, it's an internal problem in the cluster module. You can purchase a new cluster module (bare shell) for about $300 from international and transfer all your guages and bulbs into the new cluster module.

4. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    Thanks bender, I appreciate your input. I will have the dealer bring one in. Then I will let you know how it works!

bender Thanks this.
  5. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    New panel is installed and as you already know bender, it works.

Appreciate your help!

bender Thanks this.
  6. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Good to hear it worked out for you!

7. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    Well all was going well for about a day and a half. dash has since failed again. We have cleaned every ground we can find, tightened every connection and in desperation tried to book the truck into the dealer, and they have no openings for 1 and a half weeks.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2005 9200i?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I am going with a datalink problem. Datalinks can be hard to diagnose if you don't know what to look for because they aren't normal circuits. Sometimes it is another electronic component that is at fault such as the ABS or a satellite system. You can try to pull the ABS fuses so the ABS ECU won't turn on with the key and try that, then do the same if your truck has a satellite. Other than that you would be looking for shorts or opens in the datalink. Usually when there is a loss of communication the gauges just freeze, it is when there is a short or corrupted data the needles will act goofy.

Greenj1415 Thanks this.
  9. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    Hi Heavyd, I tried pulling the ABS breaker and got the same response from the system, full gauge sweep and then a freeze. I may be changing a harness here yet, but I have the weekend to play (on a truck), before going that route. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Have you had this truck since new? I have seen before where the truck used to have a satellite with the original owner and was removed when sold and they just cut the harness where it goes through the back of the bunk. The wiring corrodes after time and causes shorts. If you pull the main cluster panel back you will see be able to see the datalink wires. Datalink wiring is always two wires, positive wires, and negative wires. Each component will have two datalink wires going to it, one positive and one negative. Behind the dash is where all the positives and negative join together on their own separate bus bars. The bus bars will be basic plastic connector bodies with wires going in on side, and nothing coming out on the other. They are usually black in colour with a blue cap. The data link wires are usually twisted and have id numbers on them with (+) or (-). I pulled up some diagrams for your truck. On the positive bus bar you should have 98A +, BLACK, this goes to the diagnostic connector next to the key. 47/48+, GREY, goes to cluster. 98+ BLACK goes to the engine. 98J+, BLACK, goes to ABS. 98MA+, BLACK, goes to boost gauge. Negative Bus Bar, 98C -, BLACK, goes to diagnostic connector next to key. 47/48 -, GREY, goes to cluster. 98B - ,BLACK, goes to engine. 98K -, BLACK, goes to ABS. 98MB - ,BLACK, goes to boost gauge. If you have anything else wired into these bus bars, see if you can read the wire number and colour and I will track it down to see what it is. Also, if your truck does have the electronic boost gauge I want you to unplug it and see your gauges come back, those go funny after awhile too.

11. tanksalot

tanksalot Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Canada
    Hi Heavyd, thanks for the education on the datalink, I seriously did not know anything about those connections except that they were there. All the wires you've listed are on the appropriate connector, and no other wires are attached. I did disconnect the boost gauge and I am still left with the same problem. I had another fellow come into my shop this morning and he suggested it might be the solenoid on the passenger side firewall. As far as I can tell that controls the starter, and supplies power to the fuse box which seems to have continuous power. If it's okay to use language like "pot licker" in this forum, I will because I am currently working on one. Appreciate the time you've taken to help out! Have a good day.

9200i -yikes

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.