2005 9200 instrument panel malfunction

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by tanksalot, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The wiring does sometimes have misprints or used same wire number for more than one thing, but not too often. At your data link splices, you will have a wire to each component that communicates to each other in the truck. You should have wire for the engine, abs, cluster and data link diagnostic port as standard. If you have more it may have had a satellite at one point that was disconnected. Also, if you have a boost gauge, some are actually electronic and feed data off that too. If that wire truly was from the engine, but yet everything is working, then someone ran new wires from the engine and just severed the original wire. It is possible the other end is simply open and now corroded and shorted on something metal which would corrupt the data communication.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Healinhand

Healinhand Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Same problem here. 2006 9400. In the connectors behind the speedometer, what should the voltage be on the datalink positive?

4. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    Also, does the data link negative go to a chassis ground?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No, those wires are used for transmitting electronic messages, not standard DC voltage for lights or components. Each one will have some voltage if you check it to ground. Should be about 2 volts.

Healinhand Thanks this.
  6. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    Well, I think I fixed it. I’m not sure if it was the cannon plug on the firewall or the plug in the ecm. I tore it apart from ####### to appetite. Checked the harness complete, sprayed electrical cleaner on the plugs and it seems to be okay now. Been idling for 45 minutes and it seems fine

7. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    I didn’t find any chafing wires anywhere?

8. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    I talked to guy at just answers, he sent me a copy of the schematics for the truck. Best 25.00 I’ve spent

9. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    And of course your advice was priceless. Thanks

10. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    For the future. It’s the lower cannon plug and the rh plug on the ecm.

11. Healinhand

Oct 6, 2015
    Another question? Does the ecm have power all the time? Even when the key is off?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.