2005 Columbia headlight issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Wickedfire77, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    i turn on my low beams and go down the road, the drivers side headlight goes out, while the "brights" icon on my dash lights up.
    The brights aren't on, but they work when I turn them on. And suddenly the headlight starts working again and the icon turns off. I checked the wiring at the headlights and it appears good. What could cause this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The bright indicator on a Columbia comes on when ever there is a bulb or wiring failure.
    If you wiring is ok the problem is probally a broken element in the light bulb that is making an intermittent connection.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  4. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Thanks. I'll change the bulb and see if that was the issue

5. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    You might have a short also. I fight with my Columbia's wiring all the time. Sometime it's the harness that plugs into the headlight and sometimes there's a short. Check the bulbs first, them wiggle the wires and see if you can find a short.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  6. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Yeah it must be a short somewhere. Now I find both the dim and brights are out on that side when it happens. I'll get to the bottom of it.

7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Not to familiar with the Columbia,but if you have a separate relay for the left and right try swapping them.

8. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    Take the wiring out of the loom around the area of the bumper and examine it closely. The wires have a tendency to get pinched and creased there and develop a shirt.

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Check to make sure the plug on your turn signal switch isn't loose or melted. That will cause the bright light indicator to come on.

Also, apply some dielectric grease to the plug where it goes in the headlight. It seems to help with heat dissipation. There's really too much amperage flowing through the tiny connectors. It melts the plastic, corrodes the terminal and causes all kinds of trouble.

10. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    Definitely a short in the wiring on the side that is going out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.