2005 Freightliner with a mercedes engine wont start

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pavel94, Nov 27, 2011.

1. abtrucker

abtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Alberta
    I had the camshaft sensor come loose in the bushing that it sits in cause this. Changed bushing and had no more issues.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavel94

pavel94 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    Where is the check-valve?

4. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Not sure on those trucks and engines. Mine had a faulty check valve on my return line coming from the back of the head. I had it replaced and i did not have the problem anymore.... there is also a T valve that your fuel tanks pull from (one line from each side) and comes together to a T and then leads to the puel pump. I would check the one going into the main fuel pump for a leak or faulty valve.

Also, just to be curious, when is the last time you had your fuel filter changed and do you have a glass dome filter housing??? Sometimes the ring does not get tightened all the way or the cap is loose and will cause air to get into the system and cause a loss or cause it to suck in air.

5. pavel94

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    We had the filter changed with the last oil change around 7k miles ago.

6. pavel94

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    The problem on the truck saw one of the fuel lines was dirty and didnt let fuel pass by when the truck was off for more then 6+ hours,

7. Hardworker

Hardworker Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Pavel94 I have verry much the same problem please if you still around let me know what solved that problem I CHANGED both fuel filters, both sensors, replaced all 4 batterys, replaced fuel pump, checkel all fuses in every where including the one in the battery box, ecm has power, fuel lines no leaks on it. she cranks good but will not fire..

8. ddg

ddg Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2013
    If u have a fuelline plunger to prime the system its probably getting air or your crossover vales are sucking up air. Ive also exsperinced an iso problem. Open your fusebox and jump iso with battery and try to start if it starts u can disconect the jump. The crossover valves will be above trans and some freightliners have a lever that u can manualy shut the fuel off.

9. SS_27

SS_27 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2016
    any update much appreciate. Same boat.

10. Hope Bland

Hope Bland Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2017
    My husband I about to purchase 2013
    Freight liner that is a26 foot box truck with 239 miles.It has a Cummings engine. lmwhen went to the dealership to take a look at the truck,but it would not start. My husband an the dealer says that it has been sitting to long and the battery is dead. The truck is in immaculate shape. I don't won't to purchase a hassle.
    I'm skeptical and concerned that this may be a red flag when

11. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    So take 5 minutes and jump start it? Not sure what this has to do with the original post about a mercedes either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.