2005 Peterbilt AC problems

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Peter rabbit, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2019
    No power at the AC condenser. Checked all the fuses and everything is good. There is power at the AC switch but it doesn’t make it the rest of the way to the compressor. Are there anymore junctions from the switch to the condenser where I can look for shorts or broken connectors?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I assume you mean compressor? What model are we working on? First make sure system charge is full to the proper refrigerant amount. Next stop is to check your low and high side switches to see if they are both closed when they are supposed to be. Compressor cycle switches are a common failure item. Make sure you match the color to the correct location and dont get them mixed up.

4. Peter rabbit

Aug 19, 2019
    2005 Pete 379. C15 motor. Yeah I don’t know my ac components very well lol. We also have 3 other trucks that are one year older that are the exact same. They all have working AC’s. I’ve been going back and forth between the working and non working trucks. I’m pretty sure my problem is that there is no power at the compressor. I also just had the AC charged. Ill check the low high switches

5. FYI

FYI Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2019
    When Your AC doesn't work it is either;
    #1 Insufficient Freon
    #2 Electrical Issue
    #3 Mechanical Issue

First, make sure there is freon... Hook up R134a gauge kit to check freon level. Without compressor running, it should be at about 90 psi.

If that's good...
    Check the Electrical side of the system.
    Put 12v at the compressor to check the compressor clutch.
    If good, you can bypass pressure switches by using a paper clip to hardwire at the connectors. Do one at a time to determine which switch is bad. (When pressure switches are hardwired you'll need to watch your pressures closely. Don't go under 10psi on the low side or 375psi on the high side.)

If you have both power and ground at Compressor but the clutch doesn't engage, you'll need a new AC compressor clutch.

Good Luck!

6. Peter rabbit

Aug 19, 2019
    Thank you FYI! It turned out to be an electrical issue

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.