2006 peterbilt 379

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Coloradoman, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Coloradoman

Coloradoman Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes it has a pyro gage. Just got the truck not to long ago and trying to figure it out some. Going to go back over the road pulling a flat bed here in a couple of weeks, not liking bumping docks lol. I do want to turn it up more sometime. Need to do some interior work, of you know someone for that also lol.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    This is something you should film with phone and post up. I know of no big diesel that doesn’t have a little bit of smoke or steam coming out of the blow by tube. All diesels have blow by and that’s the reason for the vent tube hangin down below pan. There is such thing as excessive blow by. Usually it will be puffing like a freight train if your rings are shot. Let’s see a video

4. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    This is a little excessive but I’ll bet after 1 million miles, this motor could still go another 100k

John A. Thanks this.
  5. Coloradoman

Aug 25, 2018
    I will try to get a video tomorrow night. Its usually to dark to get anything but I'll see what I can do. Mine isn't as bad as the one on the video, at least not yet.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    My truck is worse then that one and I only got little over 500,000 miles.

The engine is tuned and runs very strong (60 psi boost) and burns about a gallon of oil every 5,000 miles. I don't like that it hazes so much out the blow by but I guess it's common on the acert. I think mines excessive but I keep running it.

Oxbow and Coloradoman Thank this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    What brand of oil are you using ? On my 5Ek, I was starting to get a little more blown by than usual.

A local oil distributor advised me to change the oil was using(Chevron Delo 15-40).

I went to there local distributor synthetic blend which is comparable to Conoco/Phillips... at half the price of the Mega oil companies.

Guess what...... the blowby I had before, all went away.

Something to think about. The newer oils are more made for the newer emission engines. Find a local oil distributor and see what they have to offer.

8. Coloradoman

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm not 100% what they used. It was a local shop and expensive as hell lol. I'll half to see what they used on Monday.

9. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Oil can make difference. I agree with this

Coloradoman and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. OP

How. Many miles on this motor?

ANY mantainence records from previous owner?

11. Coloradoman

Aug 25, 2018
    Almost 1.3 million. Had a rebuild done right under a million. Just have the rebuild paperwork nothing else. He ran the truck to Alaska so I'm guessing was well taken care of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.