2007 Volvo D16 Air compressor installation

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bonous, May 17, 2017.

1. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Good afternoon,
    This weekend while going down the road my low oil light popped up on the dash, so I pull into the Loves TruckStop and when I opened the hood I saw oil all on the driver side of my engine. I saw that one of the air compressor bolt had broken and caused the other to back off and that caused a bad oil leak. Anyway I pulled the compressor back from the housing, retracted the broken bolt, replaced the Oring etc, but putting it back I realized that the top left mounting hole between the engine block and compressor appears to be a dummy hole, it is a bit bigger than the other two with no threads, so I couldn't screw a stud in that hole because it wouldn't work. Is the something that goes in the hole? (Is the top left hole on the housing between the engine block and the air compressor). Oil is leaking from around there, can't see but I believe that where is coming from. I have called about ten dealerships and they all said it suppose to have a thread to put a stud in there but no way, is not true, I know what I saw. Any info if anyone knows will be highly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    can you post a pic i havent seen a d16 in some time i will be able to tell u what goes there exactly.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Hi Nas you are always to the rescue "kudos to you man" the only problem is I put the compressor back up so I can keep rolling, when I get home I will take it back off and post a pic. Again as always thanks man!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Flatbed Freight

Flatbed Freight Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2015
    What did the hole on the top left end up being I have an owner ops truck in my shop now with the same thing.

6. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    FB2E38C5-E91F-4872-8443-70B8FE4B1E55.jpeg B411E575-5341-4FCD-943B-9590DB048ADF.jpeg DE9A780E-4F53-420D-8827-D1B46E7E2A37.jpeg Sorry for the late response. There appear to be a small block inside the flywheel housing which the top left mounting stud screws in it. Mine broke off and fell in the housing. I fished it out with a long flexible magnet. Thank God it didn’t cause any damage when it broke off and fell in the housing.

So I tapped the hole in the housing and screwed a little bigger stud in the hole I tapped, then I put a flatter lock nut and a washer on the other side inside the housing. (Be careful and make sure the clearance between the flywheel and the nut) then I mounted the compressor and tied it down with all three nuts, so far not a single issue with compressor anymore.

I’m attaching pics of the piece that broke and fell off inside the flywheel housing. Hope this helps and it’s not too late.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.