2008 prostar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by BTony, Aug 13, 2018.

1. BTony

BTony Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Hello I am working in a 2008 prostart with Cummins on it, I have a fuel problem the passenger side tank empty while all the fuel goes to the driver side and when the driver side is full then it moves back to the passenger side sometimes it works fine.
    Does anyone have had this kind of issue if so anything will help thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This truck should have the fuel transfer pump between tanks. The way it works, the engine only draws and returns to the drivers side tank. The passenger side is only a storage tank. There are is a level sensor for each tank that the body controller monitors. Once it sees the drivers side tank is down 10% lower than the passenger side, it will turn on the transfer pump to even them out again. So the fuel level should never go up on it's own in the passenger side unless the driver is fueling it. If the passenger side is staying full, this means the fuel transfer pump or level sensors aren't working right. This is body controller computer controlled and you need Diamond Logic Builder software to read and see what is going on.

4. BTony

BTony Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Thank you for your response Heavyd I tried calling a dealer to see if they can connect a computer to it but they are 2 weeks behind. Now most of the time driver side stays full sometimes even if spill of the cab if you open it stays like that for a about 10/15 mins and fuel
    Starts going back to the passenger side I checked all the fueses and wires but there’s nothing I can see lose or wrong

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Give me the last 8 of the vin and I will see how it was built. If it goes back to the passenger tank the fuel pump might have been eliminated or bypassed.

6. BTony

BTony Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    8C577241 it goes back and forth when I am driving it seems to be be working normal but when I am stoped most of the time driver side tank stays over filled.
    Thank you so much Heavyd.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry for the delay. Parts break down shows both set ups. It could have been built with or without the pump and depends on how it was ordered. Basically, if you have the pump, there is only a draw line on the right side tank. If both tanks have draw and return lines, then you DO NOT have the pump system and just regular "T" fittings for both at the back of the engine. So you are now looking for an equalizing problem. Fuel lines are oring VOSS fitting style. Check each oring at each tank fitting. Then the actual tank fitting also spins out of the tank with another oring sealing it. Check those too. You could also have a cracked pick up tube but usually when they have a problem it won't act up unit you reach a certain level in the tank. If the truck starts and runs fine, generally the suction side is ok, if not it would be sucking air and hard to start. Pick up or return tubes are welded inside the tanks and not serviceable, you would have replace the whole tank if one is cracked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.