2008 VNL780 adding manual fan switch

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by KB3MMX, Apr 16, 2015.

1. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Hi, the VECU is located in the cab under the tec tray (fuses location) look for a black square box with big blue connector and big green connector installed upward on the RH side (under tec tray) disconnect the big green connector look closely with a magnafier and you will see the numbers on the connector locate pin 19 (green connector) it's the right place to install the terminal, you need to apply (fused 12 Volts) come from ignition circuit preffer,
    Big Green connector is called PA connector and Big Blue is called PB connector.
    For the North America market the VECU is already set-up to run a manual fan switch without programming (base on my own test).
    About the BBM it's the option Body Builder Module when your (top dash) cup holder will be removed you will see under the tec tray on the RH side a Black Box with electrical connector upward if that box have 4 big connectors (GREEN,BlUE,ORANGE,WHITE) then you have a BBM.
    If that box have only two big electrical connector GREEN,BLUE you have a VECU.
    The VECU and the BBW are installed at the same location but you can only one at the time in the truck.
    Note: To engage the fan clutch with the manual switch the engine should run (ECM should see RPM signal)
    Keep me in touch please.
    Ben

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Thanks Ben!
    This is on my project list this weekend, I'll be picking up the pin with wire tomorrow at the Volvo dealer. Will keep you posted...

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ben, I installed the pin today in the VECU, in the big green connector. It was pretty easy , I just unbolted the fuse panel for a little more room.

(For anyone doing this, on the green connector, you have to release/pop loose the pin lock on the side of the connector with a small screwdriver and then reinstall once the pin is inserted)

Once installed, I ran switched power from the fusebox to a Volvo factory "AUX" switch. The output of the switch feeds the pigtail/pin and one of the bottom terminals of the switch.
    The other bottom terminal got connected to ground.

When the switch is engaged, the indicator lights up and the fan engages about 3 seconds later. Once it has been running a while if you switch it off, it shuts off pretty soon thereafter.
    If you just toggle the switch on/off quick, it engages and continues to run for about 15 seconds.

Very very cool !!

This is a GREAT mod for a VN truck, can't believe Volvo doesn't offer it as an accessory kit! (Wish the switch actually was labeled FAN)
    Now I will feel much better when running in hot weather, especially when loaded heavy....no more constant 205-210° coolant temps!! Yaay !!

Thanks again!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    JORDAN670, Snailexpress and benrab Thank this.
  5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Moderators, can we make this some sort of "sticky" for volvo modifications?

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  6. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    You did the job and explain like a Pro (very good), remember your engine fan is pulling above 65 HP from your engine when running at high RPM it can affect your fuel economy also, many OEM work to minimize the fan clutch cycle to improve fuel economy, may be it's for that reason they don't install the manual fan switch come from factory.
    Thanks for the update.
    Ben

JORDAN670, Snailexpress and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Thanks Ben!

I'll probably end up switching on and off as needed going over the hills.
    It'll be really nice when parked too as the fan won't be constantly cycling on/off anymore.

I've got another project I'd like to tackle if you can help, it's making my dash read EGT, Boost and suspension air pressure. I'll start a new thread on that one.

Thanks again

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ben, I'm planning on adding this manual fan switch to my new truck. I'd like to use a actual fan switch instead of an auxiliary switch this time.
    Would you know a part# for a fan switch like the old 770s had and the matching plug & wire terminals?

Thanks!!

9. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Hi, For the new truck (With 16 pin diagnostic connector, we call them OBD) it still the same procedure and the same location as before, apply fused 12 volts with terminal 3948725 on pin PA19 (Green Connector) of the VECU but on a OBD truck you will need to validate the parameter (Manual Fan) with the Volvo PTT (Premium Tech Tool) at the Dealer.
    For the switch part number and soket i will be back. . .
    Ben

JORDAN670 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Thanks Ben!!
    I did have the parameter activated for manual fan while moving and for stationary , so we're good there..
    I still don't know why they don't put it on from the factory but oh well...LOL

Thanks for the help with the correct switch and plug and pins! :)

11. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Hi, I checked and the only switch that i found is AUX switch with a harness to match it but it's not dedicated to Manual Fan you will have to customize it.
    Switch: 20470609 Harness: 20782218
    Let me know please.
    Ben

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.