2009 Freightliner Cascadia

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by StasH, Feb 19, 2017.

1. StasH

StasH Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hey guys. I got a question. I have 2009 Freightliner Cascadia. Smartshift transmission. Had thus truck for 3 years already. Just recently some odd stuff started happening. As I'm going loaded or empty through Montana or south Dakota or any state with mountains I get this weird check engine light on and my truck begins to loose power. RMP's start dropping. Like I said...it doesn't matter if I'm empty or loaded. Every time I go up the mountain it starts happening. I've tried countless amount of times to park my truck asap and check for the codes and faults but,,,, as soon as I let go of that gass pedal those check engine lights go out. And 2 min later (it's different every time) lights come up again and I'm forced to downgrade in gears to keep going. Note: it never does that when I go down the mountain or on the straight road. Sometimes it does it even when I drive a bobtail up the Idaho pass on i90 or the one in Butte Montana also on i90. Any help please...I don't know what to do because I get no codes or any faults. Tried hooking up computer many times but computer shows no problem at all and no codes. What can it be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Amber cel? Write it up in you DVIR, let the mechanic know and keep rolling.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  4. StasH

StasH Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I'm an owner opalko. Bro

5. StasH

StasH Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I'm an owner operator.

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Buy a connection for your laptop, leave it plugged in, and screenshot the codes and engine data when the issue is occurring. We used to do this with school busses, trying to find a gremlin and all.
    @NorthernMechanic any other advice?

StasH Thanks this.
  7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I've seen an engine downgrade as a failsafe if EGR temps skyrocket, normally just a bad sensor.(again, this was on schoolbusses)

StasH Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.