2010 Cascadia, ABS Light ON

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by OneTwentyOne, Apr 20, 2017.

1. OneTwentyOne

OneTwentyOne Light Load Member

May 19, 2016
    Hey guys / gals.

My question is about my ABS light (tractor) constantly being on with NO code?

Sequence of events:

1. Drop and hook a trailer and after dumping the bags I noticed my 3rd axle tires spinning, no traction while trying to get from under the trailer.. I applied my service brakes and engaged the axle differential switch.

2. While pulling away from the trailer I noted that my tranny felt sluggish, no power and hardly no response while accelerating.

3. Stopped the truck and when I hooked up to the new trailer the ABS light came on. It stayed on for about 5-minutes then turned off and later while driving down the highway it came back on and stayed on until I stopped for diesel.

4. Once i pulled out the ABS light went off. However, now has come back and has stayed on for the past 24-hours.

My question is what can it be and why NO codes?

thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I think the abs module is separate from the ecm, so it might not store a code in the Ecm. The abs light probably came on due to the wheel spin, and it's usually a wheel speed sensor fault or the sensor is dirty. Sometimes it will pop on if the speedometer is registering a different speed than the sensor and tone ring. If the truck is driving normally it won't mess anything up, but it could be a problem on an inspection if they check your dash when you cycle the key, though they usually only care about the trailer abs light.

4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    To clarify, when you cycle the key the truck and trailer abs lights are supposed to come on and test on the dash for about three seconds, contingent on you being hooked to a trailer. If bob tailing, it's only supposed to show the truck testing when you turn the key .

4noReason Thanks this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Your problem is not with the truck, but is with the trailer. The trailer has the ABS issue. Why no code? I dont know if the trailer will throw codes on teh truck ecm.

Drop that trailer & hook to another trailer & see if the issue goes away.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Grumppy, I assumed it was the tractor abs according to his original post. If it's the trailer abs, the same still applies, typically a dirty speed sensor or broken wire to a sensor. If it comes on when applying the trailer brakes, he should test the pig tail center pin and see if it has constant voltage, if not check the 40 amp fuse for trailer abs and replace if bad.

7. OneTwentyOne

May 19, 2016
    Showgun / Grumpy - thanks for the info, however, I might need to clarify.

Both the truck / trailer ABS lights come on in the dash. They stay on for three seconds, however, only the tractor light remains ON.

I just pulled in for the night and disconnected the pig tail to see what happens and as Shogun eluded only the tractor ABS will come on in the dash, however, REMAINS ON.

Like I was mentioning earlier in the thread, the fact that i dropped the bags, engage the axle - my transmission was lifeless - is that normal? I mean it felt like it wanted to go but something was holding it back momentarily and then would do it again.

Appreciate your help / comments.

regards

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Based on your last comments, I'm out of idea's. Its beyond me. Good luck. Hope others can help.

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    If it's an automatic, then it's probably some kind of self protect mode that limits torque output when it senses a wheel slip so it doesn't mess up the axles or output shaft. We had volvos that would have the abs light on and the tics light on, it was always he wheel speed sensor down by the axle that was bad, or the speedometer was off. Either way someone can plug into your abs module and see which sensor is bad, or you could take them loose and spray cleaner in them to see if it's keeping the signal from being sent. It's not a safety concern, it's merely an issue if the wrong high strung DOT cop stops you.

10. OneTwentyOne

May 19, 2016
    No doubt! It's a manual, I will have to get under her and take a look at those sensors. It appears to be straight forward.

Thanks again,

11. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    This respond will probably be useless but..
    I had similar situation. Had TA check it hoping it will be something easy, but no. No communication between something and something. Take it to the dealer. Before I got home I've fixed it myself.
    There is a fuse box in engine compartment. Driver side, not to far from dipstick. When I was checking oil I've noticed that it was really loose. Lousy design. I've wedged something underneath to stop it from shaking and made sure that fuses and relay inside were tight. My abs light disappeared. It still comes on when I start engine for few seconds as it should. It might be just coincidence, but I had no problem since then.

HopeOverMope and shogun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.