2010 Cascadia DD13 EPA07 FAILURES

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by SammyJD, Apr 29, 2015.

1. SammyJD

SammyJD Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Darien,WI
    Hello All.

In our fleet we have about (20) 2010 Freightliner Cascadias with the DD13 EPA07. All are around that 500k mark. This year alone we have had 2 engines fail, with possibly a third today (waiting to hear from the dealer where that truck shut down).

Truck 1 had a catastrophic failure. VERY low engine oil codes (truck was running ok). Had just gotten oil sump seal replaced. Dealership deamed that failure was from the "very low oil pressure and wear on the main bearings". It sent the connecting rod out of the side of the block.

Truck 2. Driver called concerned about the knocking. Dealership said that it needed new injectors. Replaced injectors and then found that a main bearing was spun along with a rod bearing - due to hydrostatic lock from injector overload. Truck had just gotten back for low oil pressure o-ring update. (New o-rings in oil pick up tubes)

Truck 3 ..... waiting to hear details yet. Came back from the dealership last week for same as above o-ring update.

We have been told that this is not common, but have now had 2/3 engines fail in last 4 months. Any one else seen or heard of this?

double yellow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    how often do you change oil ?

4. SammyJD

SammyJD Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Darien,WI

We are on a 40k change. Which is recommended by Detroit. The oil we use is also on their approved use list. Samples are coming back in good condition.

The results of Truck #3 came back with 1-5 main bearing spun. That engine was replaced back in Aug 2013. Injectors are ok. No low oil pressure codes. They have yet to determine what caused the failure.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    40k miles......:biggrin_25520: I see... forget about Detroit recommendations and oil testing. change the oil every 20k m and you will have no problems. personally I change every 15 k miles...I have seen dd13 epa07 trucks with 1.000.000 miles on it without rebuild done.

SammyJD Thanks this.
  6. allisonisatranny

allisonisatranny Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    We have a couple DD15's that have low oil pressure that causes a shut down when hot, if you come to a stop at low RPM's. I think the o-rings for the pick up tubes were replaced...but what kind of damage is being done or has been done from their design flaw?

7. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Were these failures soon after an oil change? Detroit had a bulletin about not changing the oil and fuel filters at the same time without running it in between. When the fuel filters are changed, you can get long cranking time. If you also changed the oil and filters, you have a long cranking time with no oil. We always change the oil, then start it and let it build oil pressure. Then shut it down and change the fuel filters. We also got the fuel primer pump to avoid pumping a couple hundred times.

I've seen guys who just crank and crank until it finally starts. Not a good thing right after an oil and filter change.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. SammyJD

SammyJD Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Darien,WI
    Thanks. Beyond the oil changing.....

We just had the bearings checked 2 weeks ago (was getting other work done). The mechanics at the dealership said that those bearings were in good shape. What would cause them to spin when we aren't looking at what they consider a catastrophic failure? We are little stumped at this point. So is Detroit and Freightliner. Sounds like we will be sending the engine out for a postmortem.

Forgot to mention that this engine is a warranty long block with about 145k on it. It had a warrantable failure in 2013.

9. SammyJD

SammyJD Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Darien,WI
    Detroit set out the service bulletin for the update o-rings in the oil sump pick up tubes. We updated all of these trucks EXCEPT Truck #1 because that update came out shortly after the failure. All 3 trucks have had to get new/remaned engines. They are all being deemed as junk.

Just asked my mechanics. They do seperate the fuel and oil filters - as you described. All the oil changes were more than 3 months. These trucks are all pretty local.

10. JimmyJamz

JimmyJamz Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I'm having the same problem on my DD15 with oil pressure being low when stopped and idle. Did changing the o-rings in the pick up tubes solve your problem? Thxx

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    how low ? 14 psi or less?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.