2011 International 4300 wiper issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by AGShop, Apr 27, 2017.

1. AGShop

AGShop Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Good morning, we've got a Durastar in the shop that's really whipped me. Original complaint was erratic windshield wipers, sometimes not coming on at all. Our "parts replacer" guy installed a new wiper motor with no success, followed by a new wiper switch.Thats where I came in. I suspected the body control module, as I can put ground to the wire going to the relays, and wipers work. I swapped with a same year truck and still no wipers. The wipers ran on the other truck using this bcm. I have power and ground to bcm, all other functions are working....is there some sort of safety switch telling wipers not to run? I've checked from switch and have signal all the way into the BCM. I feel like I'm overthinking it at this point, so any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The wiper switch is actually 3 switches internally and depending one which combo of the three is how the wipers will respond. The only single wire that will make it not work is B9S, which is grey and goes to pin 7 of the wiper switch connector. The body controller is just seeing which of the 3 wiper switches has been connected to ground, which is that B9S wire. If that wire is broken somewhere, then those switches will never connect to ground and you will have no wipers. If you ground that wire, which is also the white wire of the switch pigtail, and the wipes work fine, you know that wire is open to ground. The other possibility is the actual wiper power relay control wire. The body controller controls 2 relays for wiper operation. It turns on the power relay, and also triggers a second for either low or high power. If the power relay is not triggered, you will get no wipers. The body controller supplies a ground for wire A82F which goes to relay terminal 85. If this wire is open, the relay will never trigger and wipers will never work. A82F goes to E7 of connector J4 at the body controller. It is a grey wire.

Sebby1975, montrose818, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    You are a wrath of information @Heavyd

SAR Thanks this.
  5. AGShop

AGShop Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks @Heavyd I'll dig into B9S tomorrow. I checked today on 82a, b, and c today in each position of switch and recorded combinations of ground and open to insure I was getting proper signal from switch. That all checked out so fingers crossed B9S is part of the answer. Next step was only letting them drive on sunny days haha.

Sebby1975 Thanks this.
  6. AGShop

AGShop Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Ok, this morning I traced B9S all the way back to A9AA at the J5 connection. All is good. I doubled checked and I am getting ground at A82A, A82B, and A82C in 8 different combinations depending on switch position. I can put ground to A82F and/or A82H at the J4 connector and make the wipers work. Therefore I'm certain wiring from switch to BCM and from BCM to wiper relays and beyond is good. I jumped from B9S to A82F to ensure I had a true ground, and the wipers worked. Everything points to BCM, but this one works when I put it in a different truck, but not vice versa. Is there another input to BCM (ground, safety switch) that it needs to see in order for it to "transfer" ground to A82F? All lights, functions on signal switch work so I assume ground to bcm is good. Thanks in advance!

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The body controller must see both ignition power signal input and accessory input when the key is on ignition for the wipers to work. If one is missing, they won't work. Ignition switch input is at J3, cavity A16, wire A16, pink. Accessory is also in J3, in cavity A1, wire A12C, light blue.

Sebby1975 and SAR Thank this.
  8. montrose818

montrose818 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Heavy, on the same topic, on my 4300 the wipers work only in high, and wgen turned off, will stop where they are at that moment - not return back down. Swapped switch from my oher truck, same thing. Any idea?

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Try swapping your wiper high/low wiper relay with something else. If this relay is stuck it will cause this. Also, if your wipers are shut off and this relay clicks when unplugging or plugging it in, something is shorted between the relay and body controller. A locked up body controller could also be causing this, so to reboot it, simply disconnect battery power to the cab for a minute.

10. montrose818

montrose818 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Real stupid question, wheres the relay? Dont see it in fuse box, thought it was just a bcm

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I forget what year your truck is, but if you have the big fuse and relay box at the firewall outside, they are there. If your truck is newer, 07+ or so, they are in the panel in front of the passenger seat.

SAR and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.