2012 Dura-star 4400 aftertreatment problems...

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by mc670, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mc670

mc670 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Hey all, new here. And sorry if this post for these smaller trucks don't belong in this forum.

At the place i work, we have 4 of these Dura-stars with cube boxes set up as service trucks at the iron ore mines around town here. Our most newest one is a 2012, with the maxxforce DT466 and roughly 8400 hours. The past few months this thing has been plagued with aftertreatment and body controller issues. We have the servicemaxx pro program at work and 3 active code are showing up. the code's are as follows...

SPN 3479, FMI 4 SAE Aftertreatment 1 fuel pressure 1 Control - Voltage below normal or shorted to low source

SPN 2225, FMI 14 Remote power module #1 (address 225) has a address problem, Drive train J1939 data link, An improperly addressed RPM module, or missing RPM module that the BC is expecting.

SPN 520465, FMI 2 HVAC control head multiple motor faults DM1, HVAC motor in wrong position or jammed.

The 1st code's the one that has us stumped, The truck recently had the whole DPF system replaced along with all the EGT sensors etc and just 3 days ago i replaced the aftertreatment fuel dosing valve, Fired it up and regened the truck... EGT temps went well up to the 1300f where they should be.. So I thought that solved the issue but now the truck is throwing the same code again. If i clear the code and run a regen again, the temps will climb to around 1000f then the code will flash and the temps drop to around 500f and the truck stops the regen. I have searched online everywhere for any info but cannot come up with anything.

I figured i would give this place a try, I hope somebody may be able to give me some insight on this.

Mark.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, you're in the right place! I haven't had the pleasure of messing with these too much yet. First, the doser valve you replaced, is that the fuel injector on the turbo outlet pipe? International actually calls it the "Hydrocarbon Injector". There is a block with two solenoid valves and pressure sensors that monitors and controls the fuel pressure to the hydrocarbon injector. This block is located on the left side of the engine, towards the back, next to the rocker cover. Your 3479-4 code is being caused from either the wiring to or at this block or the valve that allows fuel to the injector. They call this valve the "Fuel doser Valve" so it can be confusing. The fuel doser valve is part of this block. The block is called the DSI unit, or down-stream injection assembly. When it is time for a regen the fuel doser valve is commanded to open and this allows fuel pressure to the injector. The doser valve is basically just an electrical fuel solenoid. This is commanded by the ACM, or aftertreatment control module. This is a separate electronic device outside the of the main engine ECM. The ACM is located along the left frame rail somewhere near the engine. ServiceMaxx cannot monitor anything the ACM controls. I have included some trouble shooting information. Chances are with the number of hours on the engine the DSI unit is toast.

Attached Files:

Wannabe tech Thanks this.
  4. mc670

mc670 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2013
    The dosing valve i replaced is the block on the left side of the engine, 4 plugs going to it from what appears to be the main engine wiring harness and two fuel lines on the bottom of the valve. We replaced this and the truck was fine for 3 or 4 days and now the code is back again. The service maxx program says that it is AFT Fuel Doser Valve short to GND, So i assume that it would be a broken or chafed wire in the engine harness somewhere? I really have no idea and we been trying to get to the bottom of this problem for weeks now. The only thing that hasent been replaced is the fuel injector on the outlet pipe of the turbo. Could this have anything to do with this too?

Wannabe tech Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No this is an electrical fault. The terminals inside the connector have been known to spread and make poor electrical contact. They will need to be checked. I found another diagram. You will need to trace the wiring between the DSI and ACM, including that 24 pin connector. Check for any corrosion or any other wire problems such as chaffing or really sharp bends that may have damaged the wire inside the insulation. If you have another truck with the same engine, try to swap out the ACMs and see what happens. It may be faulty too.

Attached Files:

• DSI.jpg
      DSI.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    It wouldnt be a bad idea to pull that off and clean it and install the new updated gasket if it hasnt been done. they are known to plug. I have seen a couple ACM fail with this same fault. Try swapping it out with another one if you can as what heavyd said

7. maxx13

maxx13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Hey Heavy D! Im starting to have dpf regens again, doc/dpf replaced last year 145000 on new unit. Truck started having ecm/bcm communication issues when it rains. I disconnected ecm, bcm, any under the hood electrical connection, and sprayed wd40 in them, the communication issues seem to have gone away. In the last 4 weeks I've had to do 4 regens. Im thinking the doser valve may be clogged? Or could it be an electrical issue? Between the first regen and second was 1650 mile, and 350-475 between the others. Done spent all the money I don't have.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    4 regens in 4 weeks is nothing to worry about. If you are doing them everyday, that is a problem. We recommend to clean doser valves once a year. Try that for sure.

9. maxx13

maxx13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Did 2 regens yesterday, and one today. Usually she will puff smoke out the stack while performing passive regen driving down the road, i haven't noticed it lately. Does that doser have a metal gasket?

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes it does. Maxxforce 13 right?

11. maxx13

maxx13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.