2012 / First year wages @ May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Blue02celi, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    sooooo here we go. after calling the 2nd time asking to see if my first W-2 was returned they emailed it to me ^.^
    I was going to post a pic of the actual w-2 but im too lazy, and its not like its something that someone wouldnt believe lmao. I started in january of 2011, with my trainer. per diem while in training and then switched off when I went solo. So in my first year (and last lol but you know what i mean) I took less than 20 days of hometime, about 24 days of breakdown... if any of that matters. total wages for the year were................. $31,192

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    They have Spam on sale at Wal Mart .. Just sayin ..lol

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Blue, I told you they could email them. They did it for me. Why they refused to do it for you the first time is beyond me.

$31,192/345 days out=$90 per day/11 hours a day average on-duty/driving=$8.00 an hour. Deduct the cost of food, etc., and it gets really depressing.

Oregon's current minimum wage is $8.95 an hour, which is better than what you made driving truck your first year!

I hope things get better for you on that front moving forward.

mje and platinum Thank this.
  5. lelou

lelou Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Huuum, slightly discouraging. What company do (did) you drive for?

6. lelou

lelou Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Oops, I just reread the title.. @May. Never mind..

7. lelou

lelou Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Crossing that one off my list

platinum Thanks this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Why would you cross them off your list? It's pretty much that way at all training/entry level companies.

9. Paloma

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Wait, ya cant count cost of food, since thats yer per diem tax write off. Also, any job you would bring food or go to lunch .. Right?. And a normal job, ya cant write off yer lunch.

And I have only driven 11 hours twice in almost 5 years out here. Its all on how you utilize time.

Not trying to argue with ya Scooter Jones. But most days out here for me are 8 or 9 hours. And i am not sitting (well, with May I did ..lol).

Remember, I am an Owner/Op .. So my wages are different than a Company Driver ..

Last week I had total of 54 hours drive and on duty combined .. Take home gross (after all expenses) was $1,678.00 so lets do the math: thats $31.07 an Hour.

10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not counting the 11 hrs as driving hrs only. I'm using an average of on-duty and driving. In fact, if you pull a refer trailer, you're really on-duty 24 hrs babysitting that load. Believe me, I know ;-)

In addition, if you're waiting to get loaded/unloaded you're technically working. Just think how many hrs a driver sits waiting to be live loaded and unloaded.

As far as the food goes, most drivers spend $600 on average while on the road.

11. Paloma

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Wont argue the refer side, been there, done that and no more ever again. Thats why I run Dry.

Cost of food is tricky, if yer smart, ya prepare food and/or find bargains out there.

Anything at a big name truck stop is double or even triple the price .. Stay away ..lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.