2012 Pete 386 Dome Light issue

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by mistairs875, Aug 2, 2014.

1. mistairs875

mistairs875 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Ok, here goes nothing... I pulled the dome light fuse, nothing, I disconnected the negative battery wires... nothing... I'm at a loss here...
    Here's the issue: When I opened my drivers door this morning, all the dome lights that usually turn on when I open my door turned on, then went to a very dim state, not quite off, then bright again, then dim, etc... They are flashing at a rate of about 4 flashes per second, VERY distracting, and if it was just the overhead lights I would just pull the bulbs til I could get it to a shop, but it's overhead, floor light under my ash tray, and the lights in the bottom of the doors... By the way, when I say I pulled the fuse and disconnected negative battery wires, the lights did not even stop flashing, they kept going... I'm incredibly confused. It's a company truck but I REALLY don't want to call Premier Care over this one, but it's going to effect me driving safely because it's VERY distracting, even in the daylight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Had the exact same thing happen on a '10 Cascadia when it was 6 mos old. When you said you disco the neg and nothing happened,,I hope you meant the light went out but the problem returned. We had a master battery switch, and turned it off for 30 minutes,, (25 wouldn't do it lol. ) it was like a huge reset. Freightliner says computer or connector issue...it did this 3 times in the next week,,usually after fueling,,,then never did it again.....
    We did spend an hour making sure every connector was seated and not loose,,,all it takes is one poor ground.....good luck,,,

4. mistairs875

Aug 2, 2014
    Nope, like I said, when I disconnected the neg battery wires lights DID NOT stop flashing...

5. mistairs875

Aug 2, 2014
    Issue was found, short somewhere, was able to pull out door light fuse and the flashing stopped, now I have no lights when I open door, but probably the switch has a bad connection, if anyone is interested I will post when I find the permanent fix as opposed to just one that I can drive down the road with

6. Crs1275

Crs1275 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017

7. Crs1275

Crs1275 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017

8. Crs1275

Crs1275 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I'm having the same problem with my 2010 387 I'm hoping it's just the switch cuz I can open the door while driving and close it and it goes away for about 10 seconds then dome lights come back on along with parking brake buzzer

9. Chaslouis

Chaslouis Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Had this exact problem. Only thing I found. Left front running light was out. Replaced it and within an hour, dome lights stopped flashing. Problem curred.

18 wheels of fury Thanks this.
  10. 18 wheels of fury

18 wheels of fury Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Houston
    that's weird I have a 2012 Pete and just two days ago my dome lights started flickering so I removed the fuse then I had a taillight that was out so after I put a new bulb in I put the fuse back in and it's good

11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I've started having this issue a couple hours ago, its driving me absolutely nuts...

I'm parked for the night trying to figure it out... been a long day though. Now my interior entry lights are on and the dash is showing my drivers side door is open but it's really closed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.